Raspberry - Extract or Freeze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drudini11

Reaction score
Just returned from raspberry picking at local farm and want to use in chocolate raspberry porter but not planning on brewing this until fall. Should I freeze the raspberries or make a raspberry extract. I have not yet attempted a fruit beer but thought would be cool to make bunch of extracts as I could store/use them for future batches and wouldn't need to worry about thawing the frozen ones.......also thinking that homemade extract may be little stronger then just adding the frozen berries......any suggestions?

Either way should work, and the extract will be stronger (concentrated). I dont believe many, if any, of the sugars will be damaged by freezing the berries, so you should be good there. Obviously they're not going to be as fresh as now, and freezing them will break down some of the cells, but they'll keep pretty well if you store them correctly. The concentrate might be easier when it comes time to brew though.

I've purchased frozen raspberries and used them. Thaw and puree them when you are ready. I poured the puree into the secondary and racked the beer on the puree. I just kegged that last night actually and it was pretty tasty even when it was new, flat, and warm. Should be really good in a week or two.

Freeze the fresh fruit! When you freeze the fruit it breaks down the cell walls and pectin you will get more sugar out of the fruit when you use it. I make a Raspberry Honey Cream ale, I use only one 3# can of purée and it comes out great. You will want to do a primary ferment then transfer off the yeast into new bucket or carboy then add fruit. Let it ferment out agin. The second ferment will help keep more flavor and aroma of the fruit.

Latest posts

Back