Rant - What the frig is up with overpriced pints at the brewpub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't take this the wrong way, but if I had my own place, I wouldn't want someone like you as a customer. Being a good tipper helps out his waitstaff, however, it doesn't do anything for the owners. You might buy a lot of beers, but if you're taking the space of someone willing to pay more, you're actually costing them money. Obviously, if the place is empty, it's a different story and he needs to adjust the prices accordingly.

Also, it helps to keep in mind how a lot of places get financed. No bank will give a loan for a restaurant, so you're looking at getting investors. The standard deal is that your investors get 100% of the profit until their initial investment is paid back and then they revert to a smaller equity share. So, right now this guy might need to charge 7 bucks a glass, but that may change once he pays back the nut.

Okay, I lied about not saying anymore. I see your points but I look at it like this: he will sell more at a lower (fair) price. While his profit may be lower per pint, I bet he would still make more money in the long run. More people would be inclined to try the beer and if it's good, they would tell others and they would go and they would tell others, etc. Blue Mountain in Afton, VA started small, charged and still charge fair prices and they now have 2 breweries, expanded the original one quite a bit, and are distributed in several states on the east coast. Quite the success story and they started at a time when you couldn't have just a tasting room in VA, you had to serve food too. I have been a customer since day one and will gladly tell anyone how great they are.

It will be interesting to see how it will pan out with this place. There's another brewery opening soon that's right around the corner from this one. I'm interested to see what he'll charge. And honestly, I probably will go to Redbeard sometime just to see what his beers are like. He offers 4, 8, & 16 oz. sizes which is kind of cool. I often want to sample several of a brewery's beers without drinking an entire pint of each but don't want to be one of those nerds with the tasting flight either. :)

Wait......$7 a pour is expensive? And where the heck is your farmers market that charges only $3/lb for tomatoes? I can't even get that price for grocery store tomatoes if they aren't on sale.

You don't even WANT to know what I paid for a local CSA Farm Share recently.....or that Mikkeller Struise Collaboration beer. Apparently, I need to move.

I would support anybody "new", local, and something I haven't tried before for $7
You even stated hes at a 2 bbl. That's 60gal batches.
Grains, hops, rent, overhead. Small nanos like that usually don't post a profit till ATLEAST 1 year if not more.

saying something like...."I would never try it!! what if its horrible!?" Is VERY ignorant IMO, what happens when you try it and its the second coming of jesus??
They did sell half there stock in one weekend...

This scene is about sharing, giving, paying it forward and supporting local craft.
Don't be "that guy" who talks **** about something hes never had before!!

I often want to sample several of a brewery's beers without drinking an entire pint of each but don't want to be one of those nerds with the tasting flight either. :)

I guess im a nerd then!!
Why let others dictate what and how you want to experience the beer you drink??
If someone called me a nerd for getting a beer sampler I would laugh in his face!
I wish this practice was universal! How many times I wanna try 4-5brews on a menu but cant choke down 4-5 8%+ pints during dinner...

"I would never try it!! what if its horrible!?" Is VERY ignorant IMO, what happens when you try it and its the second coming of jesus??

I don't recall saying that and, in fact, in my last post I took back what I said about not going there and said I probably will go in some time. And it won't be the second coming of Jesus, it's just a beer.

This scene is about sharing, giving, paying it forward and supporting local craft.

And he's supporting the local beer "scene" by raping our wallets?

P.S. Tasting flights are for tourists. :ban:

PPS. I've totally done tasting flights. :D

I guess im a nerd then!!
Why let others dictate what and how you want to experience the beer you drink??
If someone called me a nerd for getting a beer sampler I would laugh in his face!
I wish this practice was universal! How many times I wanna try 4-5brews on a menu but cant choke down 4-5 8%+ pints during dinner...

This. I have ordered more samplers at places than I can recall and have no issue with it. I don't understand the whole calling somebody a "nerd" because they order the sampler trays.

I don't recall saying that and, in fact, in my last post I took back what I said about not going there and said I probably will go in some time.

I would have loved to support the place but there's no FREAKIN' WAY I'm going to pay that much for one damn pint of a possibly crappy IPA.

Was this not your first post of the thread...?

And it won't be the second coming of Jesus, it's just a beer.

Try telling that to people traveling 1,000s of miles to try pliny the younger...

And he's supporting the local beer "scene" by raping our wallets?

NO...YOUR supporting the beer scene by helping new local breweries/pubs stay open for business and boost the economy.

HE already helped the beer community by providing a new spot to "hang" at.

P.S. Tasting flights are for tourists. :ban:

PPS. I've totally done tasting flights. :D

This guy!!^^^:tank:

Hey, ultimately what it comes down to is that there is nothing wrong with saying "the pints there are too expensive for me, there are other places I would rather go." If the owner asks why he hasnt seen you around you could even say just that, and it might get him to reconsider his pricing strategy (depending on his expenses). But the fact of the matter is the guy hasnt done anything other than try to make a profit, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I live near you, which brewery is this so I know not to go there? Gotta be Redbeard or somewhere I haven't heard of. Beer served on site at the brewery should be cheaper. No packaging, distribution, or shipping cost. There is alot of competition in this area these days, 7 bucks a pint is a deal breaker for me and my budget.

I like tasters. Fact is though, I have no reason to NOT order an unfamiliar beer. Its not like I only drink one pint a night and I cant think of a time I have ever had a beer I disliked so much I couldnt choke it down.

I live near you, which brewery is this so I know not to go there? Gotta be Redbeard or somewhere I haven't heard of. Beer served on site at the brewery should be cheaper. No packaging, distribution, or shipping cost. There is alot of competition in this area these days, 7 bucks a pint is a deal breaker for me and my budget.

Yes, Redbeard. And thank you.

The only time I got bent about the price of beer was the last time I was in Oregon. It was a few years ago and we spent a week going up the coast. Rogue's beers were like $2 more expensive than all the other craft beer I had on that trip. And I wasn't trying anything that exotic from them either. The beers were good, but not worth the extra money.

Well, I also got bent about the price of BMC at a Vegas convention my wife worked. $7 for a red solo cup of Budweiser. Martinis were $10. A $10 martini should turn me into James Bond.

I really don't understand people who like the Vegas Strip.

Was this not your first post of the thread...?

Try telling that to people traveling 1,000s of miles to try pliny the younger...

NO...YOUR supporting the beer scene by helping new local breweries/pubs stay open for business and boost the economy.

HE already helped the beer community by providing a new spot to "hang" at.

This guy!!^^^:tank:

Well I'll be damn, I guess I did say that. Oh well. It might be the best beer ever but I still don't want to pay $7 for a pint of it.

If I knew someone who traveled thousands of miles for a beer, I would tell them exactly that. It's just a beer.

But I have to want to support a new brewery. The beer needs to be good and they need to charge fair prices. Otherwise, I won't support it. Just because I like good beer doesn't mean that for the good of the "community" I have to support every bozo that opens a brewery.

"OH NOs! HE called every brewery owner a bozo!!"

Just thought I'd save some folks some time...

Yes, Redbeard. And thank you.

I have been on the fence about making the trip over to Staunton to check them out, I will hold off until they return to reality. I will stick to BMB and Champion for now, and of course a steady diet of my own homebrew. What do you think of 3 Bros? I have only tried one of their beers and I thought it to be decent.

I have been on the fence about making the trip over to Staunton to check them out, I will hold off until they return to reality. I will stick to BMB and Champion for now, and of course a steady diet of my own homebrew. What do you think of 3 Bros? I have only tried one of their beers and I thought it to be decent.

I will probably go over sometime and see what they are like just for something new. I'll let you know how it is once I've gone. Might wait until Shenandoah is open so I can hit them both at the same time. Haven't made it to Champion yet, I don't get over to Charlottesville too much anymore. I've had a few of the 3 Bros, the VA Dark is pretty good, the Coffee Breath is pretty much truth in advertising - tastes like cold, carbonated coffee, and the Great Outdoors I thought was too sulfury but lagers aren't really my thing in the first place. Haven't had the Hoptimization, hopefully I'll get to try it soon.

Have you been to Heritage On Main here in the 'boro? They have 22 taps and only 2 or 3 are BMC beers. Tall for the price of a small, $4.50, during happy hour, 4 to 7 I think. The food is pretty good too.

The only time I got bent about the price of beer was the last time I was in Oregon. It was a few years ago and we spent a week going up the coast. Rogue's beers were like $2 more expensive than all the other craft beer I had on that trip. And I wasn't trying anything that exotic from them either. The beers were good, but not worth the extra money.
I don't think it's possible for me to walk the beer aisle in Costco without muttering **** Rogue. Just under $60 for a case of American Amber bombers? Deschutes and SN are $24.99.

I love that Rogue lets us camp at their hop yard once a year, but fortunately we get to bring homebrew.

It might be the best beer ever but I still don't want to pay $7 for a pint of it.

I'd pay $7 for a pint of the greatest beer in the history of mankind. I guess I'm weird.

"Here, have a glass of this! This is the greatest beer in the history of all of mankind!"

"How much is it?"

"Seven bucks."

"...got anything cheaper?"

"Get out."

Well, I also got bent about the price of BMC at a Vegas convention my wife worked. $7 for a red solo cup of Budweiser. Martinis were $10. A $10 martini should turn me into James Bond.

Amen. I've been up to their brewery in Newport and was completely unimpressed. They started about 30 miles from where I live, out of their garage, and I was hoping to be a little more blown away. Not so much. I will say that the wait staff at their taphouse/hotel in downtown Newport was stellar. I was there with my wife and they spent probably 10 minutes with her tasting this, and mixing it with that, until they found what she liked. I WAS impressed with them. That said, I'd rather spend my money on Deschutes beer. Higher quality and less expensive.

As for Vegas, my wife has been a couple times and I have never been able to make the trip, but she has sent me pictures of some of the ridiculous looking people and I would like to go just for that alone. $7 beer or not.

I'd pay $7 for a pint of the greatest beer in the history of mankind. I guess I'm weird.

"Here, have a glass of this! This is the greatest beer in the history of all of mankind!"

"How much is it?"

"Seven bucks."

"...got anything cheaper?"

"Get out."

Ha! Good one, point taken.

. . . A $10 martini should turn me into James Bond.

In 1966 maybe, but the going rate for a top-shelf Martini has been around $9 for a long time. I'll second your notion of the strip, though. Freemont St. is where it's at.

Here's what I really don't get, though; why would anyone deny their curiosity for $3? So you think a pint should go for $4. But a new joint moves in town and says it'll cost you an extra three bucks and instead of seeing if it's worth it, you'd rather just say "bless you" than give it a taste.

It's even worse when y'all say the $5 is too much. OK, a place down the road can (apparently) give you a similar beer for $4, but how many beers would it take to make a significant difference in your pocketbook? On any given night, that extra buck might cost you $3 or $4, but when you add it all up that might become significant to the owners.

I don't advocate spending like a drunken sailor, but do you guys really think it's a good idea to starve what might be a really nice brewery because it might cost you an extra $6 a month?

It's a principle and value thing.

$7 is too much for a pint. All things equal, I'll drink where the pints are cheaper. I'm not saying that I wouldn't give the place a shot, but the beer or venue better be special to justify an extra two to three bucks a pint. I doubt that this beer is any better than the beer that the other guys are getting in the same area for 4 bucks a pint.

In 1966 maybe, but the going rate for a top-shelf Martini has been around $9 for a long time. I'll second your notion of the strip, though. Freemont St. is where it's at.

Here's what I really don't get, though; why would anyone deny their curiosity for $3? So you think a pint should go for $4. But a new joint moves in town and says it'll cost you an extra three bucks and instead of seeing if it's worth it, you'd rather just say "bless you" than give it a taste.

It's even worse when y'all say the $5 is too much. OK, a place down the road can (apparently) give you a similar beer for $4, but how many beers would it take to make a significant difference in your pocketbook? On any given night, that extra buck might cost you $3 or $4, but when you add it all up that might become significant to the owners.

I don't advocate spending like a drunken sailor, but do you guys really think it's a good idea to starve what might be a really nice brewery because it might cost you an extra $6 a month?
There are too many good breweries around me. Want me to throw extra cash at your beer when you're new? You better be Larry Sidor.

the trouble with the $7 pint is that if i earn $50k, i can only afford 7,142 pints a year. this is only like 20 pints a day. no one can survive on just 20 pints a day.

wouldn't pay these prices at a brewpub, but paying $5.50 to $7.50 a pint at the local cinema drafthouse

bonus that they enforce a "no noise" policy and don't allow little kids, so I will pay the extra to enjoy a quiet pint at the movies.

some VERY tasty selections

alamo beer menu.jpg

Well, I have since reconsidered/calmed down since my OP and probably will go try the new place. I don't anticipate spending much time there because I still stand by my opinion that $7 is too much for a pint of a regular strength IPA, even if it's the best one in the area. But I am curious to see what a local $7 IPA tastes like.

Financially speaking, if I have 2 IPAs there I'm out $14 not counting tip. If I have 4 one night I'm out $28, again not counting tip. If I go to the other nearby brewery and have 4 of their strong pale, which is pretty much an IPA, I'm out $16 without tip. That's a difference of $12 in one night, do that once a week and you're spending nearly $50 more a month. To me, that ends up being a decent little bit, probably a week-ish worth of groceries. Or that $12 can buy me dinner to go along with my 4 beers at the other place, which I better have if I'm having 4 beers.

I'll never understand the perspective that we, as beer lovers and brewers, are duty bound to support a new brewery or the LHBS. I will certainly support something if it's good and at a fair price but it's a one hand washes the other kind of thing. As a consumer, I need to feel like I'm getting a fair deal. And I know I said I'm a cheapskate in an earlier post but I'm really not, I just want to be treated fairly and I will return the favor tenfold.

This. I have ordered more samplers at places than I can recall and have no issue with it. I don't understand the whole calling somebody a "nerd" because they order the sampler trays.

So, when you order the appetizers sampler does that make you an 'appetizer nerd'? Same thing in my mind...

I'll never understand the perspective that we, as beer lovers and brewers, are duty bound to support a new brewery or the LHBS. I will certainly support something if it's good and at a fair price but it's a one hand washes the other kind of thing. As a consumer, I need to feel like I'm getting a fair deal. And I know I said I'm a cheapskate in an earlier post but I'm really not, I just want to be treated fairly and I will return the favor tenfold.

Amen. Well said. As a business, an owner shouldn't just expect the customer to patronize his shop "just because" the customer is associated to that field.

MC

I can only imagine what you would miss out on not paying for good beer. You think $7 a pint at the brewery is a lot? Try going to Jester King, and I promise you, these are the best beers being made in Texas. I happily pay $15-$18 for a bomber, and I'm excited for my next trip to Austin to be able to buy some of the $6 8ounce pours! They don't list IBU's on the menu though so maybe its not worth my money haha.

604.jpg

Indytruks138 said:
I can only imagine what you would miss out on not paying for good beer. You think $7 a pint at the brewery is a lot? Try going to Jester King, and I promise you, these are the best beers being made in Texas. I happily pay $15-$18 for a bomber, and I'm excited for my next trip to Austin to be able to buy some of the $6 8ounce pours! They don't list IBU's on the menu though so maybe its not worth my money haha.

Wait, you will "gladly" pay $15-$18 for a bomber of beer? And also gladly pay $8 for a 2.9% beer at the tasting room?

That is absurd. I have paid as much as $15 for a bomber a couple times, but it was for barrel aged imperials for sharing.

Wait, you will "gladly" pay $15-$18 for a bomber of beer? And also gladly pay $8 for a 2.9% beer at the tasting room?

That is absurd. I have paid as much as $15 for a bomber a couple times, but it was for barrel aged imperials for sharing.

It is obvious you don't know Jester King beers. I wouldn't buy the Petit Prince at the brewery, its good and I've had it, but I'd be buying the rare sours. And yes, I'd gladly pay $15-$18 a bomber for barrel aged sours better than any other sours I've tried. All JK beer is barrel aged, it is all farmhouse yeast, and the rare stuff is all kinds of crazy good sours.

Whatever happened to responsibility and false sense of entitlement? Why is it the brewery's fault for charging $7? It's a free market, they can charge whatever the hell they feel like charging. It's up to them to develop a legitimate business plan, including product costs, that keeps them in business and profitable. If people are willing to spend $7 on a pint of their beer, why in the world would they charge less? It's not about raw material cost, it's about market value. You don't want to spend $7 on a pint? Then go somewhere that's cheaper. That's beauty of craft beer... there are tons of bars, pubs, and breweries trying to earn your business. Blaming the brewery because you don't agree with the price is asinine. No one is making you purchase it, and there are plenty of other options.

Fun story. When the Concorde was first introduced, they weren't entirely sure how much to charge per seat as it was an entirely new realm. So they charged what they believed people would be willing to pay. Eventually, someone came up with a brilliant idea: They held a survey and asked people what they believed a ticket aboard the Concorde actually cost. They found out that most people believed the ticket prices were HIGHER than they actually were. What did Air France and British Airways do? They hiked their ticket prices to match what was expected and it's established market value.

That is pretty much what those of us that think $7 is too much are saying.

We would chose to spend our money elsewhere.

Saying a brewery or any other business, for that matter, is charging too much for their product is not asinine. It is making a statement based on perceived value.

This thread has been fun to see all the differen beer prices people pay. I live in San Francisco and the cheapest craft happy hour beer I have experienced is $3 Bear Republic's IPA Racer 5 on draft. I envy the $2 Sculpin. That beer is ridiculously expensive here and I don't buy it.

I really really like to ask for tasters of a new beer before paying-- or do the sampler at a new place, which is my fav-- in part because as a girl I only drink a few a night and don't want to waste my time (read: waistline, liver and wallet) drinking something I don't like. cheers.

I typically pay $4-$7 for a draft in new york

TIL that beer is cheaper in NY than in Gainesville, FL.

A couple of places, including Swamp Head, have $4 pints, but most start at $5 and go up to $8 and beyond - and those are mostly snifters. In some cases it's cheaper to have a good meal at a restaurant than to go out drinking (and have some fries and a pretzel) with the wife these days.

I'll have to check out Freemont St. Next time I'm passing through.

But this wasn't top shelf gin. More like bottom shelf, next to the mouthwash gin.

It's not a "duty" per se, but we as craft beer lovers and homebrewers should understand more than many that this is a niche market and as such, there's not a universal demand for these products.

If we don't support the local homebrew shops and local breweries, then they'll go away pretty quick. I don't think anybody's getting rich by running a homebrew shop.

Back