Random question about fruit in jars...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeeSniper

Reaction score
My parents grow a lot of fruit and veggies in their garden, especially red currants. Come harvest time my father takes the red currants and puts them in jars with lots of sugar, and later on uses the resulting syrup for drinks and such.

The thing is, he doesn't pasteurize anything. Isn't it possible that during the "jarring" process, some wild yeast could get in and start fermentation, resulting in exploding jars? Or is there something here that would still prevent it?

Apparently he's been doing it for years and it hasn't happened yet. Maybe hes just lucky?

If he is putting a *lot* of sugar in it is probably sufficient to inhibit wild yeasts. Honey is the same way. The solution is so dense it draws any water out of the yeast cells and kills them. Honey also has some acids in it that kill yeasts and bacteria too, so there's that difference to take into account.

Must be. Red Currants have a high amount of absorbic acid and carry a PH of 2.9. Personally I would never eat a canned fruit or veg that has not been pasteurized or pickled to confirm that there is not something deadly surviving in it. People may say they have been doing the same recipe for decades and no one has gotten sick...that they know of. From my Public Health minor studies and Epidemiology standpoint. I don't want to be the one to find out otherwise.

http://www.fapc.okstate.edu/files/factsheets/fapc118.pdf

Right it's probably just so much blasted sugar it can't ferment as is. But hm wow that might make a nice starter, think of it is a must-in-a-jar just add water and yeast! Might make some nice brews from that. You could probably use it to make various chutneys too but it's probably way too much sugar for that.

I found some jars like that of what I believe was originally grape juice in my dad's basement. They're probably a good 20 years old. The appear to have fermented on their own over the years, it's like 'short wine', it's actually really tasty I was surprised.

Back