Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree this is just stupid! I just saw a Christmas display at Cracker Barrel two nights ago! Someone in corporate needs beat with a rubber hose!

I agree. One holiday at a time...

Technically, only Thanksgiving, Christmas and St. Valentine's days are "holy" days for Christians.

New Years eve and January 1 are for the Roman god Janus. His two faces represent the ending and a new beginning.

The rest are closer to 'Remembrance" and/or birthday days.

qD4uWpM.jpg

I don't think Thanksgiving as it is known in the States is a considered a religious event. It's a federally created holiday. George Washington got the idea started but ran into Southern opposition. Eventually in 1867 Andrew Jackson established the last Thursday in November as the official holiday...

Cheers!

I don't think Thanksgiving as it is known in the States is a considered a religious event. It's a federally created holiday. George Washington got the idea started but ran into Southern opposition. Eventually in 1867 Andrew Jackson established the last Thursday in November as the official holiday...

Cheers!
I believe it was Andrew Johnson, but yes, that's how I learned it. Lincoln declared a day of Thanksgiving in 1863 after several northern victories, including Vicksburg and Gettysburg, but Johnson finally nailed down the date for annual observances. For some reason it took a while to catch on here in the south.

Doh! Yes, Johnson.

The idea was not without some religious precedence - the Pilgrims had a day of harvest Thanks in September and they attached religious significance to pretty much everything...

Cheers!

ps: the Southern push-back on Washington's proposition was - ironically compared to current times - because they did not want a state-sponsored holiday ladened with religious significance...

Since were talking about fish. Here's a not so random picture. My nephew caught 2 bass approximately the same size (about 9 pounds) about 2 weeks apart. I've fished for over 40 years including in that pond and never caught one that big.

Bmek3Zt.jpg
Did no one else notice the extremely creepy face?

Get some sour cream and onion chips with some dip, man, some beef jerky, some peanut butter. Get some Häagen-Dazs ice cream bars, a whole lot, make sure chocolate, gotta have chocolate, man. Some popcorn, red popcorn, graham crackers, graham crackers with marshmallows, the little marshmallows and little chocolate bars and we can make s'mores, man. Also, celery, grape jelly, Cap'n Crunch with the little Crunch berries, pizzas. We need two big pizzas, man, everything on 'em, with water, whole lotta water, and Funyons.

Get some sour cream and onion chips with some dip, man, some beef jerky, some peanut butter. Get some Häagen-Dazs ice cream bars, a whole lot, make sure chocolate, gotta have chocolate, man. Some popcorn, red popcorn, graham crackers, graham crackers with marshmallows, the little marshmallows and little chocolate bars and we can make s'mores, man. Also, celery, grape jelly, Cap'n Crunch with the little Crunch berries, pizzas. We need two big pizzas, man, everything on 'em, with water, whole lotta water, and Funyons.
Whatchewfvckindoing?

Drinking hemp beer or smoking the chopper?

concentrate-oil-dab-rig-red-helicopter-stonedclassy_2.jpeg

Latest posts

Back