Random overcarb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philminatz

Reaction score
:fro:I've been doing 1 gallon batches for a while now (up to like 10-12 batches now). I started with Brooklyn Brewshop kits and have since made 6 of my own. Basically since batch 1, I have been getting random overcarbs. Just a few bottles from the batch.

I have tried using different honeys and maple so far. The recipes call for 3tbsp. I usually do 3 or even a little short of the brim on all 3 tbsp. Less has seemingly been better but I did get a slow volcano on a few of those. I don't get why it's random though. I mix the honey/maple in with the beer thoroughly as it comes out of primary into another pot. I suppose some could be settling to the bottom, but it's not all the likely. In any case, any ideas how to remedy that? Could the problem be caused by anything else?

These are straight up all-grain brews spending 14+ days in the carboy and then to the bottle for 2+weeks...

The only thing that I can think of is that the honey/maple syrup is too viscous to mix thoroughly without a very thorough stirring.
That's just a wild guess, because I've never used either of them for priming.

-a.

Was fermentation complete to begin with? I have left beer in a carboy for 4 weeks and gotten volcanos. I did not check the gravity I assumed.

+1 on the mixing.

I would warm up the honey and the maple.

I any case I am going to bet it is the mixing.

Thanks guys, I think it must be the mixing too. I do cut the honey/maple with 1/4 cup of warm water and then put that in the pot before siphoning beer in. It must just be staying at the bottom, even though the beer comes in pretty vigorously and stirs things up. I suppose it's also possible that random bottles are contaminated, even though I do a thorough sanitation. If it is contaminated, wouldn't it smell/taste crazy?

Latest posts

Back