Random Honey Windfall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerJosh

Reaction score
So my friend that works in food science just contacted me and asked if I wanted 60kg of honey...
I told him I couldn't possibly use it all, to which he said to pick him up after work and to take what I wanted.

Now, I have no idea what kind of honey it is. But assuming that it's at least somewhat good I now need a way to ferment it. I have a 25L plastic bucket that I can use for primary. And I have two 22-23L glass carboys that I can use for secondary, only I bought them from a guy who said that he used them as percussion instruments for music... I didn't think anything of it when I bought them. But now after having dropped a different carboy, which I got off with only a few scratches/slivers, I don't care to trust something that's been beaten like that.

To that end, Better Bottles? has anyone had an issue with oxidation and long term storage with them? Say like 6 months to a year? I know that some people don't like plastic, but I don't feel like trying my luck at round two with a glass carboy.

Thanks!

/edit
Also, what is a good ratio of lbs to gallons? I've seen anywhere from 3-3.5lbs or so. Or to just aim for 1.090 SG.

So my friend that works in food science just contacted me and asked if I wanted 60kg of honey...
I told him I couldn't possibly use it all, to which he said to pick him up after work and to take what I wanted.

Now, I have no idea what kind of honey it is. But assuming that it's at least somewhat good I now need a way to ferment it. I have a 25L plastic bucket that I can use for primary. And I have two 22-23L glass carboys that I can use for secondary, only I bought them from a guy who said that he used them as percussion instruments for music... I didn't think anything of it when I bought them. But now after having dropped a different carboy, which I got off with only a few scratches/slivers, I don't care to trust something that's been beaten like that.

To that end, Better Bottles? has anyone had an issue with oxidation and long term storage with them? Say like 6 months to a year? I know that some people don't like plastic, but I don't feel like trying my luck at round two with a glass carboy.

Thanks!

/edit
Also, what is a good ratio of lbs to gallons? I've seen anywhere from 3-3.5lbs or so. Or to just aim for 1.090 SG.
IMO, you'd be daft to refuse any of it.

Take the whole 60kg. It's normally the most expensive part of a batch of mead. Doesn't matter if it's anonymous or not.

Just use it in batches that also use fruit and/or spices etc

The "beaten" glass ? Just fill it with the hottest water you can and see if there's any cracks etc. If not then they're probably fine.

I haven't heard of anyone having problems with ageing for 12 months in better bottles either.

As for honey to water ratio ? Well I usually use about the 3 to 3 and 1/2 lb per gallon (imperial i.e. 4.55 litres), which gives varying gravities up to about 1.100 or so. Plus it depends on what you're actually making and the techniques you intend using to manage the ferment.

regards

fatbloke

i would say take all the honey as well, as it won't go bad. also you can make a test batch of 1 gallon in a cheap 1 gallon carboy and see if the honey is any good for show meads. if not use fruit in almost all batches

+1 take all of the honey, dont have to use it all at once and i love my better bottle unless i want to degass a young wine

Yeah, I've only ever done gallon batches before and had no idea how much 60kg of honey was going to be. Here I thought that it was going to be a huge amount and they turned out to be in 15kg 1-2 gallon containers.
He saved me the 30kg that we agreed upon during the brief conversation we had this afternoon. It seems to be a golden blend of Canadian and Argentina honey. I think that I'll try the small show batch like suggested and see where it goes.

Thanks!

Back