Random Acts of Vandalism?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradsul

Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I get a knock on my door an hour ago from a neighbor. He watched some guy run up to my truck, smash the windshield with a pipe and run away. Fortunately he's a nice guy and he came down to tell me and he said he'd talk to the cops since he can identify the guy. Apparently he was drunk but WTF! He ran past about 30 other cars to target my truck?!

So now I'll be $300 out of pocket for my deductible, I've got to miss work and I'm in such a bad mood right now I don't even want a beer. Oh and supposedly the remnants of that hurricane are due to hit tonight and I've got nothing but a tarp keeping water out of my truck.

The worst thing is if I have to miss all day tomorrow it means I have to go to the office Friday (normally I'm home) which means I can't pickup the grain bags for our southern ontario group buy this weekend. :mad:

That bites man. We had some kids running around here dropping cinder blocks through windshields and setting cars on fire.

If you live in Fl the windshield would be free ;)

So I get a knock on my door an hour ago from a neighbor. He watched some guy run up to my truck, smash the windshield with a pipe and run away. Fortunately he's a nice guy and he came down to tell me and he said he'd talk to the cops since he can identify the guy.

Sucks about your truck man. There's been some punk kids doing petty stuff like that in my neighborhood lately. If I saw someone to do that to my neighbor's truck I would have been running down the street after him. I don't put up with **** like that. Some kids broke into my truck a few years back and stole my stereo system - amps, subs, speakers, etc. I heard them when they closed the door and I chased them down the street and got all my stuff back. One of them ditched some stuff and booked it and I tackled the other one but he got up after he told me to take my stuff back and took off. One of them dropped a machete in the process. Why are you running from someone when you have a god damn machete? AAHHH now I'm pissed!

Brad,

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I hope the catch the jerk quickly and that you are able to get the glass repaired tomorrow so you feel like drinking again. Don't worry about the grain, it can wait.

Paul

That sucks Brad. Had the same thing happen to my driver's side window outside of my house a couple years back. This is why I don't hold a "general compassion for humanity." There's just a bunch of effin a-holes out there.

By the way, I recomend having a beer or ten. even if you have to choke the first one down, you'll feel better. Plus we might get some interesting posts in the drunken forum later!:D

wow Brad...that is a huge bummer

vandalism like that makes my blood boil...
I had to take a couple deep breaths before responding.

Wishing some good karma for you and some woopass karma for the vandal

BeerCanuck

...One of them dropped a machete in the process. Why are you running from someone when you have a god damn machete? AAHHH now I'm pissed!
Probably just smart enough to realize the big difference between a smash and grab and attacking someone with a machete. :D

My neighbor is up on the 6th floor so I can understand why he didn't chase him down. The guy is lucky I didn't see him do it or I would have chased him down and used that pipe for something besides breaking glass. Would have been a much different discussion with the police officers I think though. :D

LayMeister, I don't think Saturday will be a problem, just wanted to make you guys aware. G&P lets you do advanced purchased and then they put your order into a truck outside to pickup after hours. At worst I pickup on Saturday morning. Depending on work tomorrow I may even just do the pickup tomorrow in fact (assuming I can get a hold of them of course!).

Sorry to hear that. That is a pretty big deductible for comprehensive. Is that normal up there?

Sorry to hear that. That is a pretty big deductible for comprehensive. Is that normal up there?
I financed the truck so I had to get full collision coverage and everything (maybe that's the same as your comprehensive, I don't know much about insurance). I have no idea how common particular amounts are but I know my brother has to pay $500 deductible.

I do remember trying to get my deductible lower when I got my insurance changed to my truck and it put it out of my monthly budget comfort zone.

Yeah that does really suck. I also have a $500 deductible, however I have full glass coverage.

yep mine's $300 too. You should call around I was able to get mine replaced for $275 without going through insurance. If you go that route ask for an installed price including all parts.

John

Glad your neighbor can identify the guy. Even if the cops can't do anything to him, and they likely can't, you can arrange some form of justice of your own. Maybe break his glasses (while he's wearing them).

I have a $200 deductible on my car, but it's mostly so I can get my windshield replaced for $100. I live in the country and rock hazards are common.

I managed to get it replaced first thing this morning but I'll keep that in mind for next time. This is the first claim I've made in 13 years of driving so I'm hoping it won't affect my rates.

I have no idea what ended up happening with the guy, I know the cops weren't around at the other building very long. They left before I even finished tarping over the cab after I talked to them. I doubt anything happened though, so he gets away with it and I'm out $300 bucks. :(

Back