Ranco 2 stage as 1 stage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPFuller

Reaction score
Guys, I ordered and received a Ranco 2 stage controller that for the time being I only need to operate as a single stage, cooling, and I have questions on how to program it.

I understand how to set my temperature and differential as I run through the first set of settings.

However, when I get to the second set I have the option of C2 or H. Should I leave it on C2 and mimic the settings for C1 that I have already programmed, or plug a light bulb or other heat source into the second outlet, conveniently marked "heating" and set it to (H) at a temperature that will never kick in, i.e. 100 degrees or something?

I would like to get this nailed down as I am brewing Sunday, thanks in advance. BTW I apologize if this is addressed in a previous thread but I am at work and the search function dosen't work here for some reason. John.

If you never want the heater to come on you want to set the temperature for that outlet to LOWER than it would ever get. EDIT: It should also be set to H in that case.

If you never want the heater to come on you want to set the temperature for that outlet to LOWER than it would ever get.

Your quite right of course, I mispoke, however, I am still wondering, do I need to plug something into the heater outlet and set the controller to H? I know I'm missing something obvious but it eludes me at the moment.

Your controller will come with one set as H and one as C. Keep the H as H and don't plug anything in to it. Also, you should probably keep the temp value for the H outlet lower than the C outlet...though I don't know if anything bad would happen if you didn't (or if it'd even let you make the H temp higher). The controller will just switch the power off for the C outlet and the power on for the H outlet, if the temp gets <= the C temp. It'd just be like having a live outlet in your house with nothing plugged in.

Nothing to worry about.

Even if you had it set for heat it would switch the
outlet off and on with no result since there is no load
connected at this time.

Afro & Jazz, thank you both for your answers, direct, concise and reassuring all at the same time!

Back