Raleigh, NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerjunky828

Reaction score
I am going to be moving to Raleigh within the next couple of weeks. I know that Raleigh has some good local breweries and some good beer bars as well as retail shops. I am curious, how is the homebrew scene, in terms of clubs, shops, events, competitions?

Also, by the grace of a good friend, I will be moving in for real cheap and everything is practically furnished. With some good, fortunate down time for the next couple of weeks, I plan to do a great amount of brewing. I plan to bring some clothes, books, and homebrewing equipment. So I was wondering if there are any fellow HBT members who would be willing to sample some homebrew and make some good kick ass beer???? I am always looking for some tips and tricks and tools and some damn fine constructive criticism. I am moving from a nearly nonexistent homebrew scene. But the beer scene was good. I am just rambling now.

Carboy is only one club in the Triangle area, there is also Trub in Durham and of course a rag tag group of raunchy ramblers known as GRABASS. I also know that a bunch of brewers on here from the Triangle area dont prescribe to these clubs and brew just because. Either which way you go in the Triangle area, Raleigh has a pretty swell homebrew scene.

Yea, I am basically trying to look for some fellow homebrewers. I've been using this forum more as my support group but it will only take me so far. I need some substance and I am glad to hear that Raleigh can provide it. But I figured I would start here because I have seen quite a bit of homebrewers from the Raleigh-Durham area on the board.

American Brew Master in north Raleigh is a fairly decent shop. (there is a total Wine shop close by there too and a good selection of beers) Only been to Fifth Seasons in Carboro once (was just a run in and grabbed what I needed, didn't look around much)

(Though I was just in Midwest's new place the other day, its HUGE in comparison, even if you take out the hydroponic section)

We GRABASSers atypically meet at unspecified times throughout the quarter and on days ending in "y." While not a "real" homebrew club, we tend to have a lot of fun and end up brewing pretty good beer... well, most of us do. It is a pretty diverse group made up of homebrewers who have no affiliation (but maybe an affliction but that's another story) and those with affiliations to other clubs.

There's several homebrewers in the area, probably measuring into the hundreds easily, who get together every so often to brew and drink beer so you shouldn't have any problems. Just look around and you'll probably find more than you want!

Triangle Brewing has some great brews. I don't know about shops. Head into Asheville if you get a chance....best Beer City in America.

We have a pretty good LHBS : American brewmaster. I've been really happy with their selection. Overall, their staff is knowledgeable too.

My roommate just moved to Asheville for possibly a permanent job. I know he is there until the end of August, so a trip there is definitely in the bag. Yes, the craft beer scene there is huge. He also just told me that my all centennial IPA was a huge hit at a party he was at. He found a bomber tucked away with the rest of his homebrew stash. I was pretty excited to hear about some positive feedback from random people.

American Brewmaster is pretty good. I haven't been to the place in Carboro. There is a LHBS in Durham, selection isn't always as good as the Raleigh American Brewmaster, but hops and base malt are a little cheaper at the durham Brewmaster store.

I've run into a couple of people at the American Brewmaster who drive long distances to buy there.

t

Look forward to meeting you beerjunky828. I work at AB and appreciate the kind words from folks. CARBOY and TRUB are excellent options, I hadn't heard about GRABASSers but it goes to show no matter home much you know there is always more to learn. Two other groups in the area is a homebrew group on Meetup that is more Raleigh-Clayton-Fuqua area and Carborro-Chapel Hill has a club developing as well so no matter what part of the Triangle you settle into there should be an active club nearby.

The AHA will have a membership Rally on August 7th at Natty Greene's and that will be a great way to get to know more of the local homebrewers.

Welcome!

+1 to GRABASS
Great bunch of guys and we don't take ourselves too seriously
We have a barbershop quartet & a marching band, too

Well now I am sold on the barbershop quartet and the Jerry Garcia avatar. I am looking forward to this transition. I just graduated from school and am currently unemployed but I have some extra cash to make a lot of beer. Im going to try to break my 8 beers in 31 days record once I get moved in.

Not yet a bona-fide member of the GRABASS club, but they are a fine bunch of brewer's. At least all of them I have met.

Well now I am sold on the barbershop quartet and the Jerry Garcia avatar. .

Sweet. If you can play a mandolin or banjor or something, consider your saturday night social calendar already booked, man.

Hell, if you can play a 'B' on a guitar, I'll kick Boston out of the band and you can take his place.

Not yet a bona-fide member of the GRABASS club, but they are a fine bunch of brewer's. At least all of them I have met.

You're as bona-fide as the rest of us. We have low standards and make no demands of the members.

In fact, there's a few guys that are kind of part of the group and they don't even live in NC.

Forum mod olllllo is one such member.

You're as bona-fide as the rest of us. We have low standards and make no demands of the members.

In fact, there's a few guys that are kind of part of the group and they don't even live in NC.

Forum mod olllllo is one such member.

Ok then. And I can play a B, C, D, F on the guitar. No bar chords however.

Yep ASU was good to me. It will always be a special place to me. The city seems to be doing some loooong needed road work. And I am excited to go back in about 5 years and see how far along Boone has come.

I am more of a roadie kinda guy. The guy who does all the behind scene work and gets the band members all of the ladies. I shall supply the booze. And don't ya know that "he who supplies all of the beer shall inherit the EARTH!!" But I dig good music my friend especially Classic Rock, Bluegrass, and Jazz.

If I had any intelligence, I would have extended my stay in school. Trying to find a job now is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I mean once you wade through all of the BS there is nothing out there. And maybe I am shooting for the moon, but for having worked since I was 14, I can't catch a break in trying to find a salary job. Having said that, I think I may be too ambitious in trying to get a job within certain industries. I guess nowadays, you need a MS to get a job. Maybe things will look up for them once they get out.

OK, you're in the band...rehearsals are every Saturday night at my house...8 PM...bring beer

I'll play the tamborine and throw bottle caps as you in the parts that don't require a tamborine which should be most of the time.

If I had any intelligence, I would have extended my stay in school. Trying to find a job now is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I mean once you wade through all of the BS there is nothing out there. And maybe I am shooting for the moon, but for having worked since I was 14, I can't catch a break in trying to find a salary job. Having said that, I think I may be too ambitious in trying to get a job within certain industries. I guess nowadays, you need a MS to get a job. Maybe things will look up for them once they get out.

I thought about staying in school and getting advanced degrees myself but the money difference between working vs. paying for school didn't pan out but that doesn't mean I won't end up going back... You most definitely have to be willing to work in different industries unless you want to wait for the perfect job* and that may take a while. Being able to adapt is a good skill.

You don't have to have an MS to get a job but lots of folks have that mentality so it makes an MS look more promising than it really is. If an employeer can get an MS-degreed guy straight out of school for the same price as a BS-degreed guy, everything else being equal, they'll take the MS 9 times out of 10 simply because it makes THEM look better. Trust me, I've talked with probably more employeers than I care to admit to and they all agree that experience > education unless you are talking about something like a college professor, a lawyer, or a doctor and even those examples still live up to experience trumping education...

Just keep your head up, your ears and eyes open, and be willing to take a job knowing full well it isn't your dream job and you will probably leave it after only a few years (or months or whatever). Money isn't everything but it sure helps.

* There is no perfect job. They all suck at times and are rewarding at others. If it was fun, it wouldn't be called "work." :D

Yeah I understand, it's quite the undertaking. But I am ready for it even though it can seem daunting at some times. But that is life. I can't see myself going back to school any time soon. I have been burnt out for well over a year. I guess ever since I could start making beer would be about the same time I was getting apathetic about school. But I do not rule it out in the future. And there's always the informal way of gaining knowledge.

Latest posts

Back