Radioactive Beer Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debaniel

Reaction score
Is this why my corny is glowing?

:cross:

Bloomberg.com: Exclusive

"There may be more than 1 million missing radioactive sources worldwide, the Vienna-based IAEA estimates. De Bruin said he sometimes finds such items hidden inside beer kegs and lead pipes to prevent detection."

this is true... I wonder what radioactivity would do to yeast?

"Yep, got 88% attenuation... in about 4 minutes!"

I wonder how many new "Did I ruin my beer" posts we would get if you gave a free radio-active corny w/ a new subscription.

Reminds me of the Gilligan's Island episode where they find the radioactive seeds and get super hearing, sight, etc. I wonder what super 'power' the radioactive beer would give us? Super human bladder control? Super beer goggles?

OK, reading the piece I could not stop saying WTF?
Does anyone have a geiger counter I could borrow?

Answering to the question about what radioactivity would do to yeast, I say that the answer can't be know for sure, because the mutation induced in the genetic material of the cell are stochastic phenomena, but considering a population of previously healthy yeast, given a certain irradiation, you will observe that some cells would not be adversely affected, among them certanly there are individual whith silent mutations or with very rare but useful mutations, other cells would die, affected by lethal mutations.
Irradiation is a standard procedure in the research of useful micro-organism.

This is a big enough problem that the local steel mill has radiation detectors on the conveyor belts.

Speaking of mutated yeast, Bio-diesel & beer This article doesn't mention it, but the reason they are working with yeast is the yeast excrete the oil. Havesting it only requires a separation process that doesn't kill the yeast. Less energy is wasted growing more yeast.

Latest posts

Back