Racking Siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petes

Reaction score
Been trawling thru these pages looking for clues; ashamed to admit my question is kinda low-key compared to what you guys post.

My racking cane is a cobbled together affair that's giving me the sh!ts.
I've read good things about an autosiphon setup, Fermtech perhaps?
Only one I've eyeballed in HBS here seemed to be not as complete as is offered in USA so I left it there.

I've seen on a HBS web page a setup that is started by breathing into a tube to get a flow going. (Has a filter setup to avoid contamination from breath).
Have searched and searched to try and pick it up again but no luck.

Anyone out there know of this gear? Used it? Thoughts on this or the Fermtech setup?

Thanks, petes

The easy siphon, just to the left on that same page is very good and it works in buckets. The one you breath into only works on carboys.

Petes, I have both of these...the auto-siphon and the other jobbie that you blow into (Santitary Siphon). I have to say, I like the sterile siphon starter a little better for racking into a secondary. I do tend to use this the opposite way...that is I attach the rubber cap to the empty secondary carboy. From the primary I have the racking cane or a simple hose running into this "cap". I inserts a short pience of hose into the second hole and suck air in. It works the same, but even with a filter in, I don't like the idea of breathing into a primary. Also, by doing this, you can control the flow by pinching off the "breather hose".

The auto siphon is a breeze as well, bu tit is a little more trouble to clean and santize. Also, you can leave the cap on your secondary and just insert you air-lock without ever having to leave your secondary exposed (rather than removing the hose from the secondary to insert a rubber stopper.

The sterile siphon hooked up like I mentioned is an excellext item to have around in the even you need to siphon hot wort from your boil kettle. The Autom siphon will turn to goo in a hurry. Trust me on that one. You can even modify your Brew Pail for this by adding an additonal hole for the hose which can be kept in as a blow-off hose or ject plugged up.

lapaglia and Inthekeg there's good feedback there pointing me on. Thanks for your posts; I'm racking out of buckets (pails) and carboys (water bottles) so can see a future for both types.
There goes the plastic fantastic again!

Purchased one of these along with a Sanitary Siphon from MoreBeer; the sanitary job was what I was primarily after but took one of the others for bucket transfers.

Problem; the Easy-Siphon won't.
Anyone out there have probs with theirs please?

Using it on wine racking, liquid just recedes back down the inner tube, back into the bucket.
It pumps well; could transfer by continuous pumping, but that's not the point of it.
Dud unit or dud operator? :)

Back