racking q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hewnizit

Reaction score
OK so I'm making my first gallon of Mead and it's just over a week in primary. Now it's already sitting on just over a 1/4 inch of lees. Should I wait another week or rack it now?

Do you know if the lees gets mixed up and ends up in the carboy after the must is filtered out?i am at the same point but I have been stirring daily.

OK so I'm making my first gallon of Mead and it's just over a week in primary. Now it's already sitting on just over a 1/4 inch of lees. Should I wait another week or rack it now?

I'd say leave it another week. I tend to leave my mead in primary for about a month though. Nothing wrong with racking it now though, just be sure to get a little of the sediment (not a lot) when you rack, to make sure you get a continued good fermentation. I've racked mead at 1 week & it significantly slowed the fermentation, that's why I wait so long to rack to secondary now.
Regards, GF.

Wait until it's done fermenting before you rack the first time. Then use the lees amount with a time variable to decide. Basically don't rack sooner than once a month and then only once you have significant lees/sediment to get it off of.

Gravity readings are your indicator when to rack. You haven't provided any so its impossible to help. If you have them, check and if its on track for what you're aiming at then by all means rack when its at the right number. After letting it ferment out will be your first rack, second rack after it starts to clear or there are sufficient amount of lees its sitting on ( 2-5% after it clears ).

Back