Racking out of a barrel, pump reccomendations or other techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would someone go for this when they could buy a March Pump that could handle this and boiling wort, at roughly the same price point?

Probably because it's self priming. Priming my chugger when I brew 15 or 20 gallon batches and ferment in barrels can be a pain since they are top load and no way that I can figure to get a ball valve at the bottom. My auto siphon I use on carboys wouldn't even come close to the bottom.

Why would someone go for this when they could buy a March Pump that could handle this and boiling wort, at roughly the same price point?

oxidation concerns and the need to prime the march pump. you want to be gentle with fermented beer

using a siphon is very difficult when working with a barrel. First off, siphoning 55 gallons would take forever, and second, you would need to have the barrel at a higher level than you kegs.

I use this to fill barrels from primary and to fill the kegs after. Works amazingly
http://morebeer.com/products/selfpriming-diaphragm-pump.html?site_id=5

siphon tube ID would determine how long it takes to siphon 55 gallons wouldn't it? and as long as the end of the siphon hose is below the bottom of the barrel the height difference shouldn't matter either.

that pump is nifty by the way and I'm sure the most efficient way to do it.

I watched a brewer at a large local brewery push the beer out of the barrel with co2... Just a bung with a gas in and beer out tube straight into the keg.

Thanks for the replies, I was already eying that morebeer pump.

Perhaps it would make sense to try and rig a CO2 "pushing system" as well.

We have a few barrels going, but I dont think I can justify the expense of the bulldog.

Latest posts

Back