Racking kegs to 50%?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi keggers, a few questions. I have a pale ale that I want to split a 5-gal. batch to fill 2-5gal. cornies w/ 2.5 each. I would purge w/CO2 first then rack the beer. Is there a concern w/the amount of head space in the keg? I usually force carb. beginning w/20-30lb. One 2.5 gal. keg would be flavored w/red pepper that swmbo likes and the other I want to leave just the pale ale. In the event the pale ale is boring or lacking something. Can I open the keg, add some hops, purge O2, give the hops week or two, tap and drink with no problems? Has anyone ever tried to adjust a beer's flavor once it was kegged?
Thanks for any help.
GF

Sounds like a great plan! I have soaked and dryhopped in the keg before. No problems opening it up. Don't forget sanitation and a good purge is a good idea. Co2 is heavier so it should maintain a blanket over the beer if you are gentle with it. You don't want to get aggressive and end up aerating the beer.

Thanks Sandy, the pepper ale is a really good beer. Its just not an everyday brew so it lasts a long time. The last 5-gal. batch was in the keg so long (1-yr.+) that it started to taste funky by the end of the keg. The other half is an experiment for some functions I am brewing for.

You could even do less volume as long as you co2 purge prior to filling. The other thing is that you could experiment this way and if you find a dry hop or oaking or spice that you really like scale it up to 5 gallons no problem. Corny kegs are pretty awesome.

It will use up more co2 but not problem at all. I have a big saison (8%) that has been kegged for about 6 months it's down to jut a few pints in keg but still very good.

Hi keggers, a few questions. I have a pale ale that I want to split a 5-gal. batch to fill 2-5gal. cornies w/ 2.5 each. I would purge w/CO2 first then rack the beer. Is there a concern w/the amount of head space in the keg? I usually force carb. beginning w/20-30lb. One 2.5 gal. keg would be flavored w/red pepper that swmbo likes and the other I want to leave just the pale ale. In the event the pale ale is boring or lacking something. Can I open the keg, add some hops, purge O2, give the hops week or two, tap and drink with no problems? Has anyone ever tried to adjust a beer's flavor once it was kegged?
Thanks for any help.
GF

If the beer is already kegged when you throw the hops in, be ready with the lid. The foaming can be impressive.

Thanks for the warning "t", the kegs aren't carbed yet. But I have been wondering if I should remove the hop sack from a keg hopped IPA. Is it ok to leave them in til the beer is gone? I guess the equivalent time as a trip around the horn to India would be fine! And, I've left the hop sack in for about 5-6 weeks on a previous IPA without a noticeable effect. That is untill the last pour. Which comes out green and scary looking! Cheers!

Should be fine. At that temp, it'll take awhile to get the grassy notes. My IPA kegs never last long enough for that to happen. Good luck!

Back