Racked stuck AG batch onto healthy yeast cake ... no gravity changes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jph2275

Reaction score
I brewed up an IPA with falconers flight hops roughly 3 weeks ago. 13 lbs AG batch. Hit my mash temp at 150 overnight. 1.062 OG. Yeast was white labs California Ale yeast.

I don't know if my yeast pooped out or what, but 2 weeks in I did a hydro reading and it was 1.02 🙄 Tasted kind of sweet still. Highly dissapointing

Another IPA I had brewed the same weekend finished to 1.01 using us-05. So I racked it into the keg and racked my stuck falconers flight onto the us-05 healthy yeast cake. I even double punched it with an additional packet of us-05 for extra insurance. Subsequently a mini Krausen developed overnight and there's been steady airlock activity. This was 5 days ago

Today I took a sample hoping for something good ... and it was still 1.02 :confused:

It was actually no longer sweet tasting, at all, it tasted *better* but no gravity change.

Wtf???

Any idea about the change in taste, the visual evidence of fermentation, but no gravity change? Should I just keg it now and be done with it?

Patrick

If, when put on the new yeast cake and there was further fermentation, there is no way that the gravity is the same. Either there was no more fermentation or the gravity readings were in error.

Were the hydro samples at the calibration temperature of the hydrometer, usually 60 degrees?
Have you checked the calibration of the hydrometer? 1.000 in distilled water.
You are using a hydrometer and not a refractometer aren't you??

If it tastes good, I would go ahead and keg it.

I am checking this around room temperature of 70 degrees. I originally tested the 1.062 OG and the stuck 1.02 on 2 different hydrometers here at home. I was in such disbelief I tried it with 2 :p

So that night after comparing hydrometers and racking onto the new yeast cake they were both left out on my counter. My one year old broke BOTH of them in one fell swoop. I quickly ordered a new one off amazon prime and it showed up Monday. so I will admit it's a new hydrometer I've never used before but I didn't think it could be far off from accurate??

So I will admit it's a new hydrometer I've never used before but I didn't think it could be far off from accurate??

Have you checked it with plain water to see if it reads 1.000? That's about all I'd do (or probably could do) to check the accuracy of a new hydrometer.

Have you checked it with plain water to see if it reads 1.000? That's about all I'd do (or probably could do) to check the accuracy of a new hydrometer.

1.000 on the nose ....

I'm watching the airlock pop right now :confused:

IMG_3572.jpg

Is it possible my second fermentation pooped out too and I'm just getting C02 offgassing?

I'm trying to think of culprits.

Back