Racked onto Oxiclean :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pscdouglas

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a marathon kegging session today because of some bad timing. I had 4 kegs to clean and fill, some of which were clean to start with. I couldn't remember which ones were sanitized but thought I remembered leaving some star san in one of them. Sure enough, there was one keg with about a gallon and a half of clear liquid in the bottom. Shook it up to make sure it was still foamy- "good to go," I thought. poured it into the next clean keg, sealed, purged, bled through the liquid post, then racked a Helles right into the keg. I then repeated the procedure and racked my breakfast stout. Sometime when I was "sanitizing" the next keg, I started to doubt the truth of the situation. I smelled the solution. No odor, "this can't be oxyclean. But the solution was more slimy than starsan usually is." Dammit Janet!

So, i'm not especially concerned about the probability of infection, But more the impact on taste. I know I will be able to taste it. The helles is so light, maybe someone else would too. The stout, not as likely. Anyone else here made the same mistake and lived to tell? Please console me.

I believe Oxiclean contains a surfactant, so it could have a negative effect on the head retention of your beer, like dish soap would.

I believe Oxiclean contains a surfactant, so it could have a negative effect on the head retention of your beer, like dish soap would.

Are you sure? Oxiclean is the main ingredient of homemade PBW. I doubt people would use it if it kills the foam.

I have heard this about dish soap though.

I clean with both dish soap and an no-name brand of oxiclean and as far as I know haven't had issues with head retention.

Also don't want to turn this into another one of THOSE threads.... but unless the keg was full of the StarSan/oxi you didn't really purge just diluted the air.

Are you sure? Oxiclean is the main ingredient of homemade PBW. I doubt people would use it if it kills the foam.[...]

Not if they're racking beer onto it, FFS.
That'd be stupid (or, at least, a tragic brain-attack).

I exclusively use OxyClean Free on my carboys.
Been doing that since it first came on the market.
But I don't rack beer on it...

Cheers!

Are you sure? Oxiclean is the main ingredient of homemade PBW. I doubt people would use it if it kills the foam.

I have heard this about dish soap though.

I clean with both dish soap and an no-name brand of oxiclean and as far as I know haven't had issues with head retention.

Yup, pretty sure:

http://www.oxiclean.com/news/the-science-of-oxiclean.aspx

Another essential part of the formula is the surfactants, or detergents

The surfactant used is Ethoxylated Alcohol C12-C16.

MSDS:

https://www.cleanersupply.com/products/products/files/VEND1002_20150609014339_1.pdf

Not if they're racking beer onto it, FFS.
That'd be stupid (or, at least, a tragic brain-attack).

I exclusively use OxyClean Free on my carboys.
Been doing that since it first came on the market.
But I don't rack beer on it...

Cheers!

Right, but there are many people who refuse to use dish soap to clean any of their equipment because it contains surfactant. If that is their logic, the same logic would apply to anything that contains surfactant like Oxiclean.

Right, but there are many people who refuse to use dish soap to clean any of their equipment because it contains surfactant. If that is their logic, the same logic would apply to anything that contains surfactant like Oxiclean.

I think that's just an old wives tale. I bet PBW contains a surfactant too.

Yes, I racked into a keg that was rinsed with oxy; not with any significant amount in it. Just some foam and what clung to the inside.

Did it kill head retention? most definitely.

Could I taste it when carbed up and cold? I thought I could slightly taste it, but that could be cognitive bias, I KNEW it was there and bad for taste. Did anyone notice? Not a one.

Will I be repeating this mistake, even accidentally? No way. I'm systemically changing my method and identifications to prevent this from ever happening again.

Every keg that I have that isn't dirty has a piece of masking tape across the posts saying what's in it (if it has StarSan or PBW or Water) or when it was purged.

Back