Racked 2 brews and "WooHaaa!"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andylegate

Reaction score
I racked my Chocolate Cherry and Carmel Cream today for secondary. I'd actually racked the Chocolate Cherry a couple of days ago, and it suddenly got active again. I tried my best not to stir it up too much, but some how I "Woke Up" the yeast, (it's Safeale US 56 in both batchs).
So the Carmel Cream (which was gurggling away very active for 5 days straight, then suddenly stopped, finally) had it's foam head gone, and I racked it to my carboy. Suddenly I realized I was a gallon short! I remembered that I had ment to add a gallon of cold water to help cool it off, but was busy with my 4 year old and 8 year old sons, so I forgot to, and pitched the yeast. I took a hydo reading and it read 1.019. I didn't have a hydrometer when I started the batch so I have no OG, but I do know that it was suppose to be somewhere around 1.071 or there abouts. If that's true then the ABV is about 6.7%. I have no doubt that it's higher, when the smell hit me when opening up the fermentor. While racking, I have a nice deep honey color to the batch. I sampled some in a glass. It's smooth at this stage, not too sweet, nice beer core, but darn what a punch! Can't wait to see what happens after the secondary.
The Chocolate Cherry. I re-racked it, and got rid of some of the trub at the bottom. It's a nice dark color, smells wonderful. I was worried that it would be too sweet also, but it's not, has a very rich deep taste, the chocolate is almost like a after thought in taste, but it too also has a heck of a punch to it.
So it looks like neither one will be too sweet, and they both still taste like a Ale. I was worried that the Chocolate Cherry would turn into a Yahoo soda, and the Carmal Cream like a old Cream Soda.
I've got a question though about something else. What happens if you use a Ale Yeast with a Larger Recipie? And vice versa?

andylegate said:
What happens if you use a Ale Yeast with a Larger Recipie? And vice versa?

You get a lager-like ale, or an ale-like lager :)

If you use an ale yeast like US-56 in a lager recipe you'll end up with a fruitier, less crisp version of the intended brew. Basically, it will be slightly tangier on the back of the tongue. US-56 is a good yeast to experiment with because it is fairly neutral, as are the German ale strains. The Germans are experts at lager-like ales with a long tradition of barley ales (Kolsch, Altbier) in some regions.

Really though, it's no substitute for a good homebrewed - lagered - pilsner or something. If you can lager, you should definately try it.

More than likely I will try it. I've got to wait a couple of months though. I'm here in South Carolina and it gets very warm in the summer and my AC can't get it that cold!
Of course I always could go out and buy a used fridge and use that! :D

i brew whats called a lager-not.. simply an ale with lager type ingredients but it uses ale yeast because i have to ferment at a higher temp.. its really good.. so good i brewed a second batch and kegged it..

If you take 15 gallons of wort, ferment 5 gal. with a lager yeast at 50F, 5 gal. with an ale yeast at 70F and 5 gal. at 65F using a high-temperature lager yeast; you'll have 5 gallons of lager, 5 of ale and 5 of bastard lager.

I don't WANT to know what happens if you make a stout wort and ferment it with a Belgian yeast.

Latest posts

Back