Rack On To Organge Zest in Vodka?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiN8

Reaction score
So I have the zest of 6 oranges sanitizing in a glade container using about 1/3 bottle of vodka (750ml). It has been chilling for about 4 hours now, and I'm itching to rack this brew!

Can I dump this into my secondary and rack straight on top of the zest and vodka?

Holy S%*# normally ya'll are fairly good at helping people out, but this question has been sitting up here for bout 6 hours and a brewer can't get any help!!?!

Are you kidding me?
Making me want to go to MoreBeer.com right bout now.

^^^ Don't do that.:p I'd let it sit and toss everything in with the priming sugar at bottling time, but that's just me. I can't see why it would do any harm to add it earlier. You could probably throw it into the primary right now, so long as it's finished fermenting.

Just to clarify, you have had the zest in the vodka for more than 4 hours, yes?

^^^ Don't do that.:p I'd let it sit and toss everything in with the priming sugar at bottling time, but that's just me. I can't see why it would do any harm to add it earlier. You could probably throw it into the primary right now, so long as it's finished fermenting.

Just to clarify, you have had the zest in the vodka for more than 4 hours, yes?

Thank you So much for responding! I appreciate the help, I'm still new in this and VERY NEW when it comes to fruits.

Orange peels have been in vodka now for 9 hours. My belgium Orange has been in the primary now for 12 days, and I shattered my hydrometer taking all my equipment out for brewing (we just recently moved).

In that case, leave the zest in the vodka longer, and add at bottling. I've done lots of infused beverages like this for various reasons, and zest usually takes 7-10 days to reach its best. Longer won't really hurt, but I don't think it adds anything either (to my taste buds anyway).

Some stuff, like really heady or ground spices, can be ready in 8-12 hours. Fruits and other large objects can take many weeks. In any case, once its done, it would probably be best to add after fermentation is over. If you measure well, you can take a sample from the fermenter and and mix up various ratios of beer to vodka. Decide what you like best and add that amount at bottling time. That way you'll be sure to end up with the right amount of orange flavor.

Back