Rack off lager before or after d rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grmski

Reaction score
Hi to all, I'd like a piece of advice from someone inn the know if possible please. I recently got hold of a fridge and have a pair of lagers in there fermenting away at 11.5c (52f). Now they've been in there for 3 weeks and have got to 1020 and 1018 respectively one Is a Vienna lager and the other a simple saaz and Maris otter lager they've both been fermented with s23. I intend to do a d rest this weekend at 18c (64f) for 48 hrs but was wondering about procedure and if it is advantageous to rack off before or after the rest? Any advice welcomed as these are my first lagers after 18 months of all grain ales.

Best
Grmski

You want to leave the beer on the yeast while doing your D-rest. The point of a D-rest is to allow the yeast to finish cleaning up some nasties. Removing the beer from the yeast will make it useless.

Yep. It's the yeast that cleans up the diacetyl. Racking off the yeast would mean no yeast to clean it up.

Back