Quiet Ferment With Reused Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pancoastbrewing

Reaction score
Brewed a 1.050 Pale Ale one week ago with Wyeast American Ale II. This yeast was repitched for the 4th time.

The first time I used this yeast (after doing a starter), and after the first repitching, I had very active fermentations (I.e. thick krausen formation, wild bubbling, etc). The past two times I repitched the same yeast, the ferments were far less active (no blowoff activity until 18-24 hours post pitch, thinner krausen in comparison, weaker blow off activity, etc).

The brew prior to this one hit FG and tastes great. I have not yet taken a gravity reading of this still fermenting beer, but the yeast has fallen out almost completely after one week in the car boy. Seems like it’s pretty much done and it was a very “not showy” ferment for an ale at room temp.

I do not plan to repitch this yeast again as it seems to be tired out. Is it possible that this yeast is actually still very healthy despite being less showy than normal? Do multiple generations old yeast act this way? I’ve seen that people can repitch ten times with a single package of yeast so I’m about halfway there. I would have expected it to still be an active fermenter at this point. All the beers have tasted great with no perceivable off flavors. Thoughts?

I don't worry about what the fermentation looks like - taste is what matters. If you lack confidence in the yeast, then switch it up.

I have another pack on order but obviously it’s going to take a while with everything going on. Would be tempted to repitch again with this yeast but I assume I’d have to make a starter? I don’t know

I guess what I’m basically asking is: has anyone seen less showy fermentations when they do multiple re-pitches of yeast?

Nobody seemed interested in this thread but I did take a gravity reading and it was right on! I’m amazed at how inactive the fermentation appeared to be and I still hit the gravity. Oh and it tasted great. Maybe I shouldn’t toss this yeast just yet.

I collect my yeast at about day 8 and keg on day 14. If attenuation was as expected and beer tastes ok at kegging I save the yeast and re-use. often I brew and keg same day. Anything suspicious and I dump the yeast and start over. Always have dry yeast pack ready to use if yeast is questionable.

I really don’t pay attention to aggressiveness of the ferment...can’t see the beer anyway and with solid temp control blow offs are rare.

I’m thinking your experience might be related to temperature of your room.. A little too warm might be more likely to blow off, tight control in optimal part of temp range less likely to blow. Notice when brewers tell stories about explosive fermentations they usually mention “painting the ceiling” and not painting the inside of their fermentation chamber?

I’m not surprised at all your well behaved fermentation came out good.

I collect my yeast at about day 8 and keg on day 14. If attenuation was as expected and beer tastes ok at kegging I save the yeast and re-use. often I brew and keg same day. Anything suspicious and I dump the yeast and start over. Always have dry yeast pack ready to use if yeast is questionable.

I really don’t pay attention to aggressiveness of the ferment...can’t see the beer anyway and with solid temp control blow offs are rare.

I’m thinking your experience might be related to temperature of your room.. A little too warm might be more likely to blow off, tight control in optimal part of temp range less likely to blow. Notice when brewers tell stories about explosive fermentations they usually mention “painting the ceiling” and not painting the inside of their fermentation chamber?

I’m not surprised at all your well behaved fermentation came out good.

A new pack of yeast plus a starter (and for the first 2 repitches) usually gives me a blowoff. Usually I get to high krausen and then it will settle, then I’ll get huge bubbles of yeast that travel down the blowoff tube. The room is always in the low 60s. Kind of odd. This brew had literally an inch of krausen and then it fell out. Now it’s clearing completely 9 days after pitching. But it certainly reached attenuation.

the yeast could be getting tired or stressed how about doing a starter on a stirplate with some 1.040 wort and nutrients? If the yeast is allowed to pick up oxygen on a stirplate it can produce way more ATP. ATP is energy storage for the cell and would revitalize the yeast with renewed health and vigor!
Just a thought and another reason to consider a "vitality" starter. Purpose is to increase health of cells not necessarily quantity.

Not sure but I believe that commercial breweries only reuse the yeast so many times before they go back and start over with fresh. I do always use the White Labs Servomyces nutrient now in all batches that I do and it seems to help with vigorous fermentation and the beers always come out great. It's super easy as you can just throw it in with ten minutes left in the boil. I usually take it out of the capsule when I add it in.

I guess what I’m basically asking is: has anyone seen less showy fermentations when they do multiple re-pitches of yeast?

i repitch typically for a year, brewing once a week.....and yes i've noticed similar, but i only ditch it when it stops making alcohol.....

I'm curious how many batches that is... Are you saying that you do about 50 batches with the same original yeast?

~50 a year, yes......and the yeast still does it's job, but doesn't put on a show like it does first pitch....but at $4 a pack and me needing two for a 10 gallon batch, i repitch A LOT.....other people will be able to tell you how to do it properly, but i just scoop the cake into a tuperware container and keep it in the fridge till next batch, usually get activity from it in a few hours after pitching.....

~50 a year, yes......and the yeast still does it's job, but doesn't put on a show like it does first pitch....but at $4 a pack and me needing two for a 10 gallon batch, i repitch A LOT.....other people will be able to tell you how to do it properly, but i just scoop the cake into a tuperware container and keep it in the fridge till next batch, usually get activity from it in a few hours after pitching.....

Wow you do 50 and I’m stressing after 5 lol. I just repitched the same yeast again and it has really taken off this time. Much more active than the last repitching. Didn’t do a starter or anything, just threw half the yeast cake into the new brew.

lol i could cut that in half and brew 20 gallons instead of 10, but then i'd have to buy a pump.....;) glad your repitch is working also......

I just recently started doing more than 5 gallons. Got up to 7 this last batch, split between two carboys. 7 is about the max for my system. Would love to do ten but it’s not a great time to be buying new equipment..

Yeah, pretty sure I just used a clean and sanitized spoon to scoop some of the yeast into a container and then it sat for a few hours in the fridge before going into a new batch.

Recipe will also make a fermentation look different. If you are going by room temperature, that is not very precise. I would expect that fermentation temperature had something to do with it.

I have never repitched yeast but when I do step starters on my stirplate, 2nd and 3rd steps are often much more vigorous than the first.

Back