Quick yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedBeard1

Reaction score
I want to brew tomorrow but didn't plan ahead. All grain chocolate oatmeal porter with an OG of 1.061. WLP013. Can I make a starter by tomorrow evening or should I wait to brew on Friday? Also, I don't think I have and dme hanging around. Can I use priming sugar? Thanks for your help.

That's probably enough time to get good propagation, but not enough to cold crash. You'll probably have to pitch the entire starter. Can you buy an extra vial or two of yeast to reach your pitch rate?

Nearest brew shop is 90 mins from here. Will pitching a 1.5L starter effect the beer?

Well, yes, but will it affect it enough to matter? 1.5L increases the volume of a 5.5 gallon batch by ~7%. I doubt you'll notice the difference in a porter.

Turns out I don't have dme anyway and common wisdom says not to use corn sugar. Guess it's best to postpone.

Yeah, you really don't want to prime your yeast for processing simple sugars, then toss them into wort. You could always just pitch your vial and hope for the best. You'd be underpitching by about half, which could stress the yeast a bit, but I've done it and ended up with good beer.

Yeah, you really don't want to prime your yeast for processing simple sugars, then toss them into wort. You could always just pitch your vial and hope for the best. You'd be underpitching by about half, which could stress the yeast a bit, but I've done it and ended up with good beer.

This is what I would do but knowing that yeast need oxygen to grow I'd be sure to oxygenate the wort the best I could so the yeast would multiply in the beer. You may not be able to detect the difference between that and a starter.

You could always take some of your first runnings maybe a quart or so give it a quick boil, chill it down pitch the yeast in that. Shake the hell out of it every once in a while. Let the yeast get happy while you finish brewing. And pitch the whole thing.

U don't seem too disappointed by the idea of delaying it a bit. And if you're making starters, you def want a quality beer.

I'd say delay it for a week and then go thru all the steps and make some wicked ass brew on a better timeline. It'll be worth it in the end. Besides, whats one more week or two?

P.S. I'm biased as choc oatmeal stouts and porters are two of my fav styles of brew.

I delayed. First AG beer in a few years and I want it to turn out really well. Funny story about this one. I brewed it about 4 years ago for my wife. It's her favorite style. And it was the best batch I'd ever made. But between brewing and the beer finishing, we found out she was pregnant. She had exactly one sip out of the whole batch. So now that out son is about 3 years old, I'm brewing it again. I need it to be as good as that first batch!

Back