Quick! what should I do?...yeast pouch expansion alert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorDuvel

Reaction score
I just got an order today, and the yeast I'm using is the Wyeast 3724 (saison). The small pouch containing the yeast inside the smack pack has expanded (to the max it seems), but hasn't been "smacked" yet. What should I do? I'm not planning on brewing until tomorrow. It's now in the fridge - should I just smack it now?

It should be fine. Sometimes that happens during shipping or if it gets warm. If you are planning on using it tomorrow, it is best to make a starter with it today.

ok, cool - thank you - just didn't want my little friends to fizzle out before the party

When you're ready to slap it.
You might have to press it against a corner on a table and actually pop it had it puff up in 20 mins. Not sure why some people smack it and takes 3 hours, if you find a nice corner/edge of the table put the inner packet right on the edge and put all your body weight as you slap it you can actually hear it pop works every time. You wont have to post a "slap pack not puffing up" those little packets can be pretty though.

Or you could just not sweat it and leave the inside bag unpopped. It's only there to proof your yeast and obviously you have proof yours is alive.

Latest posts

Back