Quick turn around! Need help for holidays

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ObRN4brew

Reaction score
OK, so I made an all grain Christmas brew 3 weeks ago and have stout already in the bottle foe conditioning (all grain and extract, respectively) but just found out I am in hosting a Christmas party on December 15th for work! I need a recipe with a fast turn around and good flavor. THROW A SISTER A BONE! I am new to brewing and can do all grain by using a friends set up but extract is easier at this stage of the game. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

:eek:

Go with something light. A cream ale or a light pale ale. Ferment for 10 days to 2 weeks and bottle condition for 3 weeks. You will have to get it going ASAP.

Go with something light. A cream ale or a light pale ale. Ferment for 10 days to 2 weeks and bottle condition for 3 weeks. You will have to get it going ASAP.

+1 on this, though a cream ale is difficult to do properly with just extract. A Mild or a lighter Brown Ale might also be a good choice.

Here is a partial-mash version of the recipe I mean to brew tomorrow, which I expect to be ready around that same time period:

Newton Pulsifer London Brown Ale (final partial-mash recipe)
2.25 lb. Amber DME
1 lb. Maris Otter pale malt
1 lb. 45L crystal malt
1 lb. Victory malt
8 oz. Special B
8 oz. Chocolate malt
1 oz. Fuggles hop pellets (4.8%AA), 60 min.
Ringwood Ale yeast (Wyeast #1187)

I will be making a 1L starter for it, which should make the whole process go a bit faster. Another recipe you could try would be a simple best bitter like this:

Supergrass Best Bitter
5 lbs. Amber DME or 8.5 lbs Maris Otter pale malt
1oz. Fuggles (4.8%AA), First wort hopping
1oz. Fuggles (4.8%AA), 60 min.
1oz Fuggles (4.8%AA), dry hopping 7 days
Burton Ale Yeast (White Labs #023)

Despite the name, I promise it won't snitch on you :) Again, a 1L starter would speed things up by at least a few days. If you do the extract version, add the first wort hops to the kettle as the water is heating to boil; it wouldn't be as effective as it would be with an AG wort where the malt is already in solution, but it should still work.

An IPA , APA, or wheat beer will be done and ready to drink before Dec 15. I brewed my last IPA on Oct 20 and I'm drinking it right now after 13 days. I keg of course, but bottling only adds 2-3 weeks which still would only be a 4 week turnaround.

Unless you are adding fruit, spices, oak or similar that goes into secondary, and are keeping it sensible, there should be no problem making almost any beer by December 15. That's 6 weeks.

With 2 week (warm) in the bottle, that gives you 4 weeks to brew and ferment the beer.

I made this porter a week ago and it's at 6.1% down from 1.067 to 1.020 in a week. If I had a keg begging to be filled I would.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/chocolate-honey-porter-373610/

I added 1.5 oz dried coconut @10 mins in a hop bag

flameout added 1tbsp hersheys unsweetened cocoa powder and 1tbsp vanilla extract as I had no vanilla beans. Followed everything else in the recipe.

Latest posts

Back