Quick Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamns7

Reaction score
Would it be a good idea to buy a 10g water cooler for the fermentation process.

I'm a beginner brewer and new to this forum so excuse me if people have already asked this question! Just trying to learn more and trying to think of creative ways to enhance the brewing experience while keeping costs in mind!

Cheers!

The reason why I was thinking about the cooler is because the coolers are insulated and would seem to keep the temp more stable through the fermentation process. Now I'm using the standard 5g plastic bucket.

What do you mean when you say for the fermentation process? Do you mean fermenting in the cooler, or using it to keep your bucket cool? I don't think you could ferment in the cooler. It'd be hard to clean and I'd be concerned about the plastic it's made out of.

I mean after pitching the yeast. While the wort sits and ferments with the yeast....

I mean after pitching the yeast. While the wort sits and ferments with the yeast....

Best off with either HDPE vessels or stainless steel IMO/IME. A cooler would be good for a mash tun, but not to ferment in. For one thing, you don't want it to retain too much heat, since that can easily get the fermenting beer above where you want it to be.

If you want to do something to insulate your bucket, get some Reflectix insulation (from HD or Lowe's) and wrap it in a layer, or two. You'd be amazed at what that little bit will do for temperature stability (in cooler areas).

Reflectix wrapped fermenting vessel... Two layers wrapped around it and secured with gaffer's tape.
wrapped_tall_quarter_2-57466.jpg

Back