Quick Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrayne10

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am in the middle of my brew day and everything is against me as always but the only real problem that I am unsure about is my mash temp. This is my recipe for a wit beer.
5 pounds flaked wheat
6.5 belgian pilsner malt
.5 cascade at 45
.5 cascade at 15
.5 bitter orange at 15
.5 orange at 15
wlp 400 with starter

I was shooting for a mash temp of 152. But when i was doing mash in i left the valve open on my mashtun and lost, I guess 1/2-3/4 of a gallon of water. Stupid I know. But my temp has been 150-149 for the last 30 min and i just added a 1/4 gallon of boiling water just to keep temp up. So for this type of beer will 150 mash temp be ok? or should I get it to 152-153 for the last 30 min?

Hi everyone I am in the middle of my brew day and everything is against me as always but the only real problem that I am unsure about is my mash temp. This is my recipe for a wit beer.
5 pounds flaked wheat
6.5 belgian pilsner malt
.5 cascade at 45
.5 cascade at 15
.5 bitter orange at 15
.5 orange at 15
wlp 400 with starter

I was shooting for a mash temp of 152. But when i was doing mash in i left the valve open on my mashtun and lost, I guess 1/2-3/4 of a gallon of water. Stupid I know. But my temp has been 150-149 for the last 30 min and i just added a 1/4 gallon of boiling water just to keep temp up. So for this type of beer will 150 mash temp be ok? or should I get it to 152-153 for the last 30 min?

At this point it won't make a difference. A majority of the conversion has already completed. So just go with the temp your at, and with that much wheat your beer will probably have plenty of body, although it may be a little dry in the end, but nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the quick response. In 15 minutes I will begin the 90 min boil. Thanks alot.

Back