quick question on sanitizing new keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucfanmike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
im plumbing my keezer tonight and moving my beer to my new corneys also. I have the corneys apart ans soaking in oxyclean solution right now. After that ill mix up a starsan solution to sanitize them. My idea is to do the following.

Sanitize keg one.
Transfer starsan to keg two.
Move beer into keg one.
Use keg two of starsan to test keezer plumbing for leaks and sanitize at the same time.
rid keg two of starsan and try to purge lines with now empty corney
fill keg two with 2nd batch of beer
pump beer through system to push out any remaining starsan.

is this proper procedure, im guessing i should be pumping sanitizer through all the new lines somehow, but is this the way to get it out of the lines before i put beer to them?

Any help tonight appreciated, not sleeping til the beer is chilling

Mike in Duluth

Excellent questions...and answers. I too, am assembling my first keezer this weekend; a GE 7.0 cu ft arrives tomorrow via Home Depot. I had very similar questions about sanitizing the system for the first run. However, I was thinking about a quick PBW soak before the StarSan just to get any oils and grimies out of there beforehand.

Jeff

PBW would work too. Let me expand a little more on what I've done. It may be a bit of overkill, but I'd rather be safe than sorry with the kegs. Again, I'm new to this as well, but can't think of anything wrong with this process.

1. Remove in/out posts
  2. Remove poppets
  3. Remove dip tube
  4. Fill keg with OxyClean Free solution
  5. Wash posts, poppets and tube with OxyClean from the keg
  6. Scrub inside of keg with soft sponge
  7. Reattach posts and seal keg
  8. Shake the daylights out of it
  9. Hook it up to the keezer and pump half of the OxyClean solution through the lines into a pot
  10. Take the top back off the keg and dump the rest
  11. Rinse the keg
  12. Remove the posts and poppets and soak them in StarSan for a few minutes then reinstall
  13. Fill the keg half way with StarSan
  14. Shake, rattle and roll the keg for a few minutes to make sure StarSan gets good contact with all internals
  15. Hook it back up to the keezer
  16. Pump all of the StarSan through
  17. Hook keg filled with beer up
  18. Pour
  19. Drink

I tend to repeat steps 18 and 19 a half dozen or so times just to make sure everything's good.... ;) :drunk:

Edit: crap, forgot the keg lube! DON'T FORGET THE KEG LUBE!!!

Exxxcellent...my plan is working perfectly! Smithers, get me a Dogfish Head 60 min IPA!

Thanks for the info!

I suggest that you run some hot PBW or Oxyclean through the lines first to clean, leave it in the lines for five minutes or so, then follow the same procedure with StarSan.

Back