quick question: My beer goes flat in just a few mintues after opening bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival178

Reaction score
My beer has been in bottles aging for over 7 weeks and when I open the bottle I hear plenty of hiss so the bottle is carbonated but goes flat in just a few minutes, can anyone help me with the "GENERAL" reason.

How long are you chilling them? When beer carbonates, most of the CO2 builds up in the headspace of the bottle. When you chill them for 24-48 hours, that CO2 is absorbed into the beer. If you aren't chilling them long enough, that CO2 escapes when you pop the cap and there isn't much left in the liquid.

it was an austin home brew kit, I used exactly what it called for, 5oz I believe.

How long are you chilling them? When beer carbonates, most of the CO2 builds up in the headspace of the bottle. When you chill them for 24-48 hours, that CO2 is absorbed into the beer. If you aren't chilling them long enough, that CO2 escapes when you pop the cap and there isn't much left in the liquid.

I dont let them sit 48 hours, usually I put one in the fridge and try it the next day.

Might give it another day just to see but overnight should be ok. Longer is usually better though.

What was the OG of your brew? High OG beers take longer to carb.

What temp have they been at? If they're been sitting at under 70F, they'll take longer as well.

As CshreCat says, I would let one sit in the fridge longer before cracking it open, to see if that fixes the problem.

The other possibilities I can think of are:

1. Conditioning temps too low (e.g. conditioning in the garage/shed during winter)
2. High OG/ABV of beer essentially maxing out the tolerance of the yeast
3. Unusually high pH of wort hindering yeast respiration
4. Poor seal with caps/capper, essentially creating an environment that will hold only a slight positive pressure, but anything higher leaks out
5. For whatever reason, the sugar you added at bottling time was unfermentable...e.g. it was lactose instead of corn or cane sugar, and the carbonation you DO have is from fermentation of the wort, not the priming sugar

Even if you are storing in the high 50's or 60's, I'd think that 7 weeks of conditioning would be enough to fully carbonate.

Back