Quick question here!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Panetta

Reaction score
How long before off gassing begins with a 5 gallon brew? I know what's in my head, but I'm interested what people I don't know have to say on the topic. Thanks all!

off-gassing...you mean like airlock action? fermentation ? Depends , I usually see something going on within 24-36 hours of (dry)pitching. My only starter (current brew) I had action in about half that time.

If you are talking about airlock activity, it is too variable to give a time. Colder is slower, too little yeast is slower, different yeasts are faster or slower. I've seen as little as a few hours and as long as 36 hours.

I've had as fast as 3 hours, as slow as 24 hours or even more. It depends on a number of variables.

If dry yeast and just sprinkled into the wort, expect around 24 hours. If a starter from liquid yeast, expect 12 hours or less. If a vitality/active starter pitched directly into the wort, expect 6 hours.

I brewed saturday, pitched an active starter that had been on the stir plate for 17 hours directly into the fermenter--no crashing, no decanting. I had activity in under 6 hours.

If the yeast is shocked by a huge temperature change, it might take a long time to get going. If the wort is very cool, even if the yeast is acclimated, yeast at cold temps work slower.

Hope that helps. I suspect it didn't. :)

Again thanks for the reply's. In truth I'm in a conversion with some one and there trying to some one can not have off gassing in a ten minute time frame. White labs sweet mead yeast in my last cider at room temp about 70 degrees. It was perking in 10 minutes. So I figured I would verify what was in my head.

Last edited:
Nope. The only way to have an active fermentation in 10 minutes would be to put wort/must on a huge pitch of already active yeast. And by huge, I mean bigger than any brewer would realistically use.

Another question. Same person and conversion! How long can one leave a mead in primary before doing the first rack? From my understanding- it depends on the the size of the batch. I have seen/known some to leave it any where from 6 months to almost 1/2 yrs. and all tasted fine to me. Average for me is any where from 4 to 6 months. Again thanks for all the input!

I've had as fast as 3 hours, as slow as 24 hours or even more. It depends on a number of variables.

If dry yeast and just sprinkled into the wort, expect around 24 hours. If a starter from liquid yeast, expect 12 hours or less. If a vitality/active starter pitched directly into the wort, expect 6 hours.

I brewed saturday, pitched an active starter that had been on the stir plate for 17 hours directly into the fermenter--no crashing, no decanting. I had activity in under 6 hours.

If the yeast is shocked by a huge temperature change, it might take a long time to get going. If the wort is very cool, even if the yeast is acclimated, yeast at cold temps work slower.

Hope that helps. I suspect it didn't. :)
It help. Thanks.

I have seen/known some to leave it any where from 6 months to almost 1/2 yrs.
I'm not a mead maker, so can't answer your question, but I'm confused by the timeframe '6 months to almost 1/2 yrs'. In my world, 6 months is 1/2 a year.....

Nope. The only way to have an active fermentation in 10 minutes would be to put wort/must on a huge pitch of already active yeast. And by huge, I mean bigger than any brewer would realistically use.
If it didn't, what was making the air lock perk at about 15 or so bubbles a minute? Or was it a submerged gnome trying to breath? Do tell. I would really be interested to know how it didn't do what I always time a batch! The 8 gallons of mead I have under way now started with 3 bubbles an hr for the first 2 and a half days! Its at the low end for 1116. And still bubbling away for about a month now!! I suppose its that same submerged gnome trying to breath again? Again do tell!

If it didn't, what was making the air lock perk at about 15 or so bubbles a minute?
Most likely either dissolved gas from vigorous mixing/shaking coming out of solution, or the mead warming up, which makes it expand, pushing air from the headspace out through the airlock. Airlocks are NOT a good indication of fermentation activity.

I'm not a mead maker, so can't answer your question, but I'm confused by the timeframe '6 months to almost 1/2 yrs'. In my world, 6 months is 1/2 a year.....
1/2 yrs is another way of saying 1 to 2 yrs. Just like saying wort/must is it not? Or like saying I am brewing w/him. Or do you not know what w/him means? With him is what it means. Don't misunderstand I don't mind splitting hairs to clarify something. I do the same.

Most likely either dissolved gas from vigorous mixing/shaking coming out of solution, or the mead warming up, which makes it expand, pushing air from the headspace out through the airlock. Airlocks are NOT a good indication of fermentation activity.
Ok, I can entertain the possibility about the gases or the cider worming up even though the unfiltered apple juice and bottled water was already at room temp. And I do agree air locks are not a good indication if you using a bucket or a worn O-ring for screw top fermenter's. If a SPEIDEL 30L fermenter leaks it is due to a bad O-ring and it would leak fluid if you where to shake it by hand. In the case of a glass carboy! I would say one doesn't knpw how to cork a glass carboy.

1/2 yrs is another way of saying 1 to 2 yrs. Just like saying wort/must is it not?
I'd always read 1/2 as a half. Maybe it's different in different parts of the world.
It does clear up what you were saying - it all makes sense now!

I'd always read 1/2 as a half. Maybe it's different in different parts of the world.
It does clear up what you were saying - it all makes sense now!
This.
Around here (North America at least) using numbrs 1/2= half and 1-2= one to two. But using words, beer/cider = beer or cider.

Regarding your cider starting within 10 min? Need more info and many variables can affect this outcome. Most likely is your unfiltered juice had wild yeasts just waiting to kick off.

I’ve had several of my beers start bubbling within just a few hours after sprinkling dry yeast. My most recent batch, a hard sparkling water with mango, corn sugar and honey in it surprised me a great deal when fermentation began almost instantly.

I've added US-04 on Sunday evening in a 20 L tank at 17 to 18°C. On Monday morning bubbling began, in the evening it became intense. I will give you an update when it stops

This.
Around here (North America at least) using numbrs 1/2= half and 1-2= one to two. But using words, beer/cider = beer or cider.

Regarding your cider starting within 10 min? Need more info and many variables can affect this outcome. Most likely is your unfiltered juice had wild yeasts just waiting to kick off.
More info- 5 gal mots unfiltered apple juce, 5 lbs honey and a 1 tsp of yeast food and white labs sweet mead yeast. That's all that was used. Oh and some bottled water to top off at 6 gallons.

Again thanks for the reply's. In truth I'm in a conversion with some one and there trying to some one can not have off gassing in a ten minute time frame. White labs sweet mead yeast in my last cider at room temp about 70 degrees. It was perking in 10 minutes. So I figured I would verify what was in my head.
10 minutes, no way . what you saw was most likely just a warm wort inside and it was the heat expanding, I would predict that once it cooled off a little some sanitizer distilled water,vodka or whatever you put in the airlock got sucked back into the fermenter.

10 minutes, no way . what you saw was most likely just a warm wort inside and it was the heat expanding, I would predict that once it cooled off a little some sanitizer distilled water,vodka or whatever you put in the airlock got sucked back into the fermenter.
Umm.... Nothing got sucked back up into the cider at all and in fact it only became more vigorous and started blowing off at the 3 hr mark. So tell me another line.

Umm.... Nothing got sucked back up into the cider at all and in fact it only became more vigorous and started blowing off at the 3 hr mark. So tell me another line.
alright if you're going to ask for advice then be a smartass about what answers you get ,find another forum.
ending your post with "so tell me another line " is disrespectful. You came looking for info ,maybe to settle an argument. I'm not sure which. You could have just said thanks (or nothing) and go about your business.

10 minutes to start fermenting. Highly unlikely. Most likely temperature changes in the wort, must, cider, mead compared to the air temperature causing pressure changes in the head-space within the fermenter.

alright if you're going to ask for advice then be a smartass about what answers you get ,find another forum.
ending your post with "so tell me another line " is disrespectful. You came looking for info ,maybe to settle an argument. I'm not sure which. You could have just said thanks (or nothing) and go about your business.
Do you always get bent when your told your wrong? Maybe you need to find another forum or maybe you should get some crayons and a safe space!

10 minutes to start fermenting. Highly unlikely. Most likely temperature changes in the wort, must, cider, mead compared to the air temperature causing pressure changes in the head-space within the fermenter.
All ingredients were at room temp. Which was the same as the out door temp which was 70 f. If I heat pasteurised anything I could roll with what you and others are saying.

This statement suggests that you are trying to understand what is happening to have signs of fermentation within a very short time however you take offense at people telling you this is not possible. True, this is not possible, at least with provided information. For further explanation, see response to your quote below.

More info- 5 gal mots unfiltered apple juce, 5 lbs honey and a 1 tsp of yeast food and white labs sweet mead yeast. That's all that was used. Oh and some bottled water to top off at 6 gallons.
Given only the details you have prvided:
Under ordinary conditions, it is impossible for 6 gal to begin vigorous fermentation within 10-15 min with inoculation of a single vial of liquid yeast. Their multiplication would not possibly be able to grow to a size to create such an action in that time.

In order for this to occur as you described, a combination of the following will most likely have occurred:
1- you made a yeast starter
2- at a warmer climate
3- had active yeast already in the apple juice.
4- had active yeast in the honey.
5- had another source of contamination.
6- addition of yeast nutrients served as nucleation sites releasing dissolved gasses in the must.

There are undoubtedly other possibilities as well, but I see these as the most likely culprits, in no particular order.

Do you always get bent when your told your wrong? Maybe you need to find another forum or maybe you should get some crayons and a safe space!
No, I get "bent " when someone obviously new comes in and asks for advice they know nothing about and when they get answers they dont agree with , they say smart ass stuff like you're doing. I answered your post with some experience behind it. I've been here a couple years . A lot more people have been here much longer with more experience as I have and answered you similarly. This is a forum to exchange knowledge and ideas, not to disrespect those trying to help you. So , why dont YOU tell us how you got yeast action in only 10 minutes because obviously I'm not the only one thats given you the same reply as I have.
crayons and safe space...that comment just tells me you came in here with an attitude and ready to argue. Let me remind you , you started it with the
"So tell me another line" comment. How old are you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back