Quick question, can I harvest this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure I follow....but...Sure, you could harvest it. I'm not clear on the process that involved a gravity sample going fermented so I would think carefully about your sanitation process to this point. Just because you can harvest it doesn't mean you should. :)

....and that looks like a 12oz bottle or something and if that's true then I would casually say that you do not have near enough cells for a 5gal batch...but it's really hard to offer any solid advice given these details

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

So you took a gravity sample, and then fermented it separately in a bottle and came up with that? Yes, you could step it up to a larger starter, but you would be better off just using the yeast cake from the finished beer in the main fermenter. You will have a ton more yeast having fermented under more sanitary conditions. Just search the forums, there are lots of instructions for repitching on top of an old yeast cake or harvesting the cake for future batches.

Whether you should cultivate it for your next batch depends on where in the original fermentation process you took this sample from. If toward the end, some of the "hard workers" may have flocculated already, and you won't be propagating those; they weren't in your sample. In that case you're selecting against the highly flocculating population and for the lower flocculating ones. Your beer fermented with this may remain cloudy for a longer time, and needs more help to clear. It may also have a different flavor profile.

Latest posts

Back