Quick question about degassing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M4car223

Reaction score
So I am on my first batch of wine, doing Yooper's Banana Wine recipe. Made a few mistakes along the way and walked into an apartment that smelled of sulphur farts...that problems was addressed and at the last transfer to secondary they was hardly any notice of a sulphur taste.

Sorry, side tracked. So reading, I need to adequately degass before I bottle (mi know I am still months away). My plan was to use the mighty-vac in my toolbox at work that I use to vacuum/reverse bleed the clutch master cylinder on the Volvo truck transmissions. Planned on cleaning it and heavily cleansing and sanatizing and repeat a couple times to make sure my nasties from work were gone. THEN, SWMBO decides to make a FoodSaver purchase. Frustration gone, I checked the thing out. It has a vacuum accessory tube that pulls out. Looks to be around 1/4" ID.

Would that sufficiently degass my wine if I adapt it up fit an airlock and pull vacuum on the fermentation vessel for a long enough time?

Thanks in advance.

wondering if you might suck o2 into the vessel and if that would have an effect on oxidation? but i would expect that as long as you waited it would remove alot of the c02. I think a small gental paddle stir would be easier though.

If you try it let me know how it works

Not sure but I suspect that to degas you really need to be able to pull a vacuum equivalent to about 22 inches or more of mercury. I don't know that a food saver vacuum pulls that kind of vacuum. Whether it does or does not pulling a vacuum should not push in air. You are creating a negative pressure on the wine so nothing is going to be sucked in. You are expelling gas from the wine not pumping it in.

Good points. I will bring a vacuum tester home tomorrow. Bought it and never used it. I will see what it does and let you guys know.

You won't need to degas. Generally, degassing is done only on things like kit wines that are rushed to bottle in less than 4 weeks.

I've had ONE wine in 25 years that needed degassing, and that is because it was pretty cold in my wine room and the wine just held on to the dissolved co2.

Ok thanks Yooper. That wine took a crazy turn and cleared up wonderfully. It did end up very high in alcohol but I already knew it would. It is so tough to leave this batch alone but I am still on track.

Thanks to everyone.

Back