Quick OG/yeast starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babbage78

Reaction score
Okay so a few days ago I brewed an IPA that ended up with an OG of 1.066 but changed to an OG of 1.064 after I had pitched a yeast starter. My question is whether I should use 1.066 or 1.064 as my starting OG when I try to solve for my beers abv?

Thank you!

1.064 is what the beer started at when the yeast began their work, so that's what you should stick to when doing your calculations.

Thanks for the quick reply! Btw, this was my first time using US-05 and am very surprised by how well it attenuated. The IPA ended at 1.008, which I calculated as being almost 87% attenuation! Is this normal for US-05? I mashed at 151 F for 60 mins and have only ever experienced this kind of fermentation with belgian yeast.

So i now realize that my really high attenuation came from mashing at 151 F and adding 3/4 lb of sugar. Next time I'm gonna try mashing at 153 F and skip the sugar addition. Opinions?

Id keep doing what you did. You want IPAs to be that dry. I always add sugar to mine and mash at 148F. Ideally, theyll end below 1.010

Latest posts

Back