Quick lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadsupporter

Reaction score
Quick lager question:

I pitched 3 vials of yeast at 59 F and it cooled to 53 F [my desired temp], so when do you expect to see a krausen or bubbles in the airlock as it is day 3 and I dont really see any activity.

I doubt I harmed the yeast as it was pitched from the fridge into its temp range of 50F - 55F; but my question is how long do you expect it will take to krausen and show activity?

Depends on yeast strain type, fabrication date of vials, how they were stored by the supplier, etc....
But, take you a hydrometer read? Some yeast strains do not form an active krausen on wort surface.

Depends on yeast strain type, fabrication date of vials, how they were stored by the supplier, etc....
But, take you a hydrometer read? Some yeast strains do not form an active krausen on wort surface.

Its only day 3 at most so I will probably wait a bit to take a reading; but the yeast used was Czech Lager WLP 802
Best before date of Aug 12 2012

* If I did not mention this before I do think the yeast is good [at least part of it] since a minute amount was present in the vial after pitching and I added a bit of water and sugar and it is active at room temp.

Latest posts

Back