Quick Kriek

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgbolton1

Reaction score
Going to do a Quick sour to hold me over while I age my closet full of real deal sours. Hod does this recipe sound?
Hops:
1oz(60)

Grains:
4lbs pilsner
4lbs wheat
.25lbs Acid Malt

Going to mash and collect wort, then kettle sour with Wyeast Lacto

After a couple days going to boil.
Going to pitch Mangroves Jacks Belgian Yeast (since I have it already)
Ferment for 2-3 weeks
Rack to Secondary and add tart cherries.

from what I gather about doing the quick sour, if you are using pilsner malt, then you may consider doing the long boil first before souring, then heat to pasteurize and ferment as you were planning. Or go the no boil method. I believe the main school of thought is that once you get pilsner extract hot, you want to do the full boil. I'm sure others can clarify the specifics.

I did a kettle sour with pils and just brought it up to near boiling for several minutes, soured for a week (commercial lacto, unless using a big starter, will yield way less acid in just a few days) boiled for 30 and pitched after cooling

I've done 5+ kettle sours now, all with Pils. Never had a DMS issue no matter how I've done it. I heat it up to 185+F, let it naturally come down to 120F and pitch lacto. I rarely boil after souring unless I want to add hops.

Latest posts

Back