Quick Help! No thermometer for starter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambleside

Reaction score
Hi, I need some quick opinions!
I've just taken my wyeast 1332 out of the fridge, letting it warm up for a few hours, and need to make my starter tonight so it is ready for brew day.
But, I forgot my thermometer at my parents house!! All I have is a turkey thermometer that's lowest is 130F.

Here's my inputs from Mr Malty. 1 smack pack, 1.12L starter. I've got a bunch of ice bottles to cool the water in my sink with the flask in it.

So, my question, how long in the sink full of cool water and ice will my starter wort be a good enough temp to pitch my yeast in? I've got no way of measuring the temp really.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers:mug:

The first time I made a starter I used a thermometer. Didn't bother with one after that. I would boil the wort in a saucepan and cool in a cold water bath in the sink. When the outside of the pot felt about 70-ish, I called it good.

Hi-
I'm new to starters, but I've noticed that a pasta pot and a couple inches of water and then enough ice to get the water over the wort takes about 10-15 mins. Good luck!

I've also noticed that it doesn't take long in just a cool water bath, let alone ice. I boil my starters in my Erlenmeyer and then cool down in the bath tub. With ~60 degree water (granted a much larger volume than in the sink) the starter wort is down in the mid 60s in just a few minutes. Without a thermometer I would aim for longer/colder rather than warmer, just to be safe.

I've also noticed that it doesn't take long in just a cool water bath, let alone ice. I boil my starters in my Erlenmeyer and then cool down in the bath tub. With ~60 degree water (granted a much larger volume than in the sink) the starter wort is down in the mid 60s in just a few minutes. Without a thermometer I would aim for longer/colder rather than warmer, just to be safe.

This, it's always better to go cooler then warmer. The starter might stay slow as a result, better that then dead, eh?

10-15 minutes in an ice bath should BE PLENTY of time in my experience.

Back