Quick fly sparging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monstar

Reaction score
Yo! I usually batch sparge, but to day I'm fly sparging. I read that with fly sparging you are supposed to sparge until the wort is under 1.008. I mashed out and used sparging water @ 170 degrees.

Should I take into account the temperature difference when I am taking gravity readings?

If you're using a hydrometer, then yes, you need to account for temp. It's a lot easier if you own a refractometer.

With fly sparging, you should sparge until you hit target volume, ***unless*** your sparge drops below 1.008.

If your beer is 1.050 or higher, there's almost zero chance you'll drop below 1.008 during your sparge, so I wouldn't really worry about it. It's only usually an issue if you're making a very low-gravity beer.

It's tough to do with a hydrometer, as you have to cool the reading to under 100 degrees and THEN use a correction table for the correction. Most people who are checking their runnings are using a refractometer, I believe.

I don't let my runnings get any lower than 1.010. Usually I'm at my boil volume long before that, though, unless it's a very small grain bill!

Latest posts

Back