Quick Disconnects vs. Barb Fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhutter

Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on using quick disconnects vs barb fittings for liquid transfer? I am finishing up my single tier Brutus 10 style rig and it's time to order these fittings. I will be using these in conjunction with electric pumps and silicone tubing. I have used barb fittings for years in my gravity fed systems without any leaks. The price difference between stainless barb fittings and stainless disconnects is very large. Can anyone give their opinion or review?

Unless the connection can be permanent, you'll want some sort of connection that is not threaded as threading and unthreading connections repeatedly will suck.

Search on this site for camlocks, these are a really affordable and stainless connecter. It's not one handed like the morebeer connecters, but they are stainless and cheap.

I held off on buying the quick disconnects due to their price. But, after switching over it is a nice upgrade...sure beats having to deal with hose clamps every time you move a house. Setup with the male end on your kettles with the female end on your hose line so you save money on the more expensive female end.

I went with the More Beer S.S. quick lock connectors. I think they might be a little high price but it is a very well made product. Very easy to use fast and with one hand, so for me it was a good buy.

There are pro and con's between the two SS and plastic QD's too. SS gets really hot while the plastic ones don't. However, I'm not the most gentle on stuff so the plastic would eventually be broken. Like Brew-boy I went with the MoreBeer SS ones as they'll last a lifetime with the occassional new O-ring.

I'm using barks with silicone tubing. No hose clamps. The friction fit is tight enough it seems and there are only minimal drips. Of course I'm brewing in my garage so drips are not a big concern. When I move a line it just pull off and push back on.

I am using SS TriClamps, they were $27 a set.

Previously I used Brass QDs from McMaster that were $2-$7 each. They were very nice.

Sounds like the QDs are worth it in the end. I would rather buy it once than want to swap them out down the road...I've done that more times than I would like so I'll go with the SS QDs.

Rob

Latest posts

Back