Quick chiller question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J187

Reaction score
I am going to buy a cardboard concrete form from home depot on my home to use to coil my 50' 3/8 OD chiller around. I really don't have anything that would be a good form and they are only about $5. They come in 8" and 10", which would you choose? I am leaning 10". My pot is 14" wide but I will be also adding a thermowell - 2.5".

I'd go with the 8" the outside of the tube is probably 8.5" then you add twice the thickness of the copper tube. The chiller may end up being 9.5" wide. any bigger and it will be hard to fit inside the pot.

BTW: a corney keg makes a pretty good form.

I'd go with the 8" the outside of the tube is probably 8.5" then you add twice the thickness of the copper tube. The chiller may end up being 9.5" wide. any bigger and it will be hard to fit inside the pot.

BTW: a corney keg makes a pretty good form.

Thanks! I bottle all my beer unfortunately.

I made a chiller from some 1/2" ID copper tubing which is pretty tough to wrap around the outside of a keg with any consistency.

The solution = forming it by pushing and working it down into the INSIDE of a 5-gallon Home Depot bucket. Much easier and it came out nice and even.

kettleandchiller-s_zpsafa76cd5.jpg

Back