Questions on whirlpooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webguru1974

Reaction score
I just got a chugger 109 to whirlpool my wort after the boil and had some questions on the best way to do it I have a plate chiller and was thinking of running the wort through the chiller the back into the brew pot till I get the temp down. Not sure if that is the best option looking for so feedback or tips from others

Do you use a hop spider? Probably not if your looking to whirlpool the hops out.. What are you hoping to accomplish by whirlpooling? If it is just to get the temps down, won't gravity draining through the chiller into the fermentor get the temps down?

I am hoping to clear all the crap out of the wort before I put it into my fermentor everything that I have read and seen say creating a whirlpool at the end of the boil will bring all the junk to the center and keep it out of the finished wort

Are you using pellets? I didn't have much luck getting pellet sludge to form a cone when whirlpooling. Cones might pile up though. I would try a hop sack or spider. Also whirfloc. And letting stuff settle 15-20 minutes with the pump off before transferring.

I don't use one, but I have seen plenty of reports of clogged plate chillers due to hops. Probably not a good idea idea to mix the two, IMO.

Back