Questions from a newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gundi

Reaction score
Have only done about 3 batches so still leaning. This past week I did a 5 gallon wheat extract and a 5 gallon brewers best IPA. The wheat beer was in a bucket fermentor and had very little bubbling in the air lock, maybe 12 hours and very slow. The IPA is in a glass carboy with a blow off tube ( learned that the hard way) and it has been going strong for three days and needed the tube. I have brewed the IPA before but the wheat was new to me. It was the mutons kit with 2lbs of DME. It seems like this one has not fermented barley at all so wondering if anyone had suggestions? I have read that sometimes the bucket fermenters don't seal as well as the glass. It has been 6 days and I could move to a secondary, but was not planning on it. I wonder if this would help or not.

One more question is it states let it ferment for 6-9 days which seems short. Any suggestions?

Open it up and see if a krausen exists. If not check gravity. If it is there, then hang tight for a couple of weeks until it falls and check gravity then.

Did you aerate well?

Yes I did aerate very well. I will check it and take a reading. I was hesitant to open it to early.

Gravity is the only way to tell if your beer is completely attenuated. Primary fermentation is often complete in as little as 7-10 days. However, the yeast do more than convert sugar to alcohol and co2. If left to their own devces, they will continue to consume the byproducts of the initial reproduction. Kinda like really considerate orgy guests. They come, make a mess, then stay the day after and help you straighten up. I always leave my brews in primary 4 weeks, then bottle. The LHBW uswually advises you to bottle early so they can sell you another beer kit.

Back