Questions about using a bourbon barrel at home.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an eight gallon, used bourbon barrel at home. I'd really like to age my imperial stout (currently in the primary) in it for a while, but I only have six gallons of the beer. I understand that ideally the barrel would be filled nearly to capacity, but clearly I don't have the volume of beer to do so.

What are the risks that I'm taking by only adding six gallons of beer to an eight gallon barrel? Is there anything I can do to minimize those risks?

Thank you in advance!

Thanks for the quick reply. This was quite the experimental stout so brewing another batch would be very difficult. CO2 makes sense - I'll be sure to do that.

Do I run any risk of the barrel drying out in areas where the beer is not in contact with it?

You should be fine. We just aged 45 or so gallons of stout in a 54 gallon barrel, and everything went stellar. I flushed the headspace with CO2 for a while after racking all of the beer into the barrel and plugging it. At the 2 month mark, when I tasted for the first time, I repeated the CO2 flush.

We aged for 3 months. The finished beer tastes great, with no noticeable oxidation.

Go for it!

You should be fine. We just aged 45 or so gallons of stout in a 54 gallon barrel, and everything went stellar. I flushed the headspace with CO2 for a while after racking all of the beer into the barrel and plugging it. At the 2 month mark, when I tasted for the first time, I repeated the CO2 flush.

We aged for 3 months. The finished beer tastes great, with no noticeable oxidation.

Go for it!

Thanks - that's reassuring!

Back