Questions about Partigyle Brewing and storing wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killsurfcity

Reaction score
I'd like to try Partigyle Brewing out so I did some research and it looks like if I use the grain bill for a beer with an SG of 1.076 and use the first half of the runnings for a big beer, and the second for a small beer, the SGs will be 1.101 and 1.050, respectively. (Per the Brewing Techniques table here)

What I don't know is how the actual mash process would break down, in order to draw the right quantities of wort from the mash each running for an overall 5gal batch. I'm guessing I'd want to strike with enough water to draw off 3 gallons for the big beer, and then sparge with another 3 for the small beer, assuming the volume of liquid in the grain bed will stay pretty much the same once the sparge is drained.

Does this sound right?

I was also thinking about draining the sparge into a sanitized bucket and capping it for a day or two when I have more time. Then I would just do a regular brew session just starting from the boil. Anyone tried this?
This will be a sour beer anyway so I don't mind if it sours a little pre-boil.

Thanks.

edited for clarity

I wouldn't use the values in that table. It uses a 2:1 ratio for a 1/3, 2/3 split, which sounds about right, but it also uses a 2:1 ratio for the 50-50 split. Both values can't be correct.

In the article, Mosher says that a 50-50 split will be 58% and 42%, which would be 1.088 and 1.064 for your runoffs.

That doesn't jive with my experience either, though. For equal runoffs, I always see a second runnings gravity that's about 1/3 of the first. For your 1.076 grist, that would be 1.114 and 1.038.

Interesting. Thanks for the tip. I may just wing it and see how the first running nets out. if it's super high, I may just mix some of it with the second runnings to get them to a decent level, and then dilute to a lower gravity. I'm shooting for a 10% barleywine for the big beer, so I'm going to make sure I hit that. The other beer is a bonus, so if it's small, it's small. No problem.

I have always liked to do two batches this way because you can add in additional LME or DME to the smaller beer to make whatever you want. I will usually take all the first running and half of the second for the bigger beer and then the other half of the second run and a third run for the small beer and add in some DME to make that beer whatever size I would like. The grain runnings are a good base for the smaller beer for flavor, mouthfeel, head retention, and whatever sugars you are able to get from it. I will typically do a full volume boil on the big one, then a small volume boil on the little one and add in my malt extracts at flameout.

Just a follow up, the brew day went pretty well. I didn't hit quite the level i wanted on the big beer, but that's ok. I'm definitely going to do this again next brew day.

I wanted to add too, that storing the second runnings in a sanitized and sealed bucket overnight, produced no perceivable ill effects so far. When I opened the bucket, it smelled exactly like brew day. Of course, now I'm wondering how long I can let it sit. If I could get a couple days out of it, that would be amazing. It's be nice to have a day of relaxation between brew days.

I have a similar question about the process: I'm wondering how long I can let my mash sit for the second runnings. I mean, I'm not about to try two concurrent boils (can't and won't), so I'm wondering if I can do my first runnings, boil and cool, then do my second runnings, etc.

What I'm worried about is letting that mash sit for an hour or two - is there a risk of tannin extraction? I've accidentally let a mash sit for two or three hours before with no ill effects (that I recall).

why do it that way when you can just take second runnings right into a bucket (or second kettle) while you're boiling?

Good point - I had forgotten to say that I'd plan on capping with a little chocolate malt or dark crystal. I guess it would only need about 10 or 15 minutes to do the trick.

oh, i see. i've heard of people doing that as well, and i actually wanted to add some wheat this time, but didn't because i was afraid of letting the second runnings sit too long in the tun.

make a new thread about adding grains after the first runnings, i think you'll get better answers than in this thread that's essentially run it's course. :)

I have a similar question about the process: I'm wondering how long I can let my mash sit for the second runnings. I mean, I'm not about to try two concurrent boils (can't and won't), so I'm wondering if I can do my first runnings, boil and cool, then do my second runnings, etc.

What I'm worried about is letting that mash sit for an hour or two - is there a risk of tannin extraction? I've accidentally let a mash sit for two or three hours before with no ill effects (that I recall).

There are some recent threads about mashing overnight. You won't extract any tannins with an extra long mash, but the enzymes will keep working and you'll end up with a slightly more fermentable wort, and a drier beer. If you adjust your recipe or mash temps accordingly, it shouldn't be a problem. I've chosen to leave the grains and second mash in the MLT when I did my partigyle brew. One less container to clean and sanitize, and it keeps the temp high enough to prevent an infection that might cause souring.

Back