Questions about juice wine/hooch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iambadwithnames

Reaction score
Hello i was thinking of making juice wine with apple juice sugar and bread yeast is there anything i should be worried about in this process?

You probably want to use a beer (or wine or cider) yeast if you’re hoping for a lot of alcohol. Bread yeast will poop out midway.

Look for a pasteurized juice without preservatives (ascorbic or citric acid are ok, though.)

You probably want to use a beer (or wine or cider) yeast if you’re hoping for a lot of alcohol. Bread yeast will poop out midway.

Look for a pasteurized juice without preservatives (ascorbic or citric acid are ok, though.)
Sadly there are no brewing stores where i live so i cant get a better yeast and Yes Ive found a juice without any preservatives

If you’re going with bread yeast, try the juice without added sugar. It’s much harder to make something highly alcoholic than something more moderate.

(And you could always freeze concentrate…)

Apples also have their own wild yeast, so in the fall smash up some local apples and toss them in with your juice and make a wild yeast cider. If bread yeast is all you can get, go for it. Sweden has some homebrewing clubs, perhaps look into those for a group buy or a slug of yeast from someone near you.
https://www.weyermann.de/en-us/swedish-homebrew-competition-2022-3/

I use bread yeast to make 14% mead.....

Hello i was thinking of making juice wine with apple juice sugar and bread yeast is there anything i should be worried about in this process?
Yes there is something you should be worried about. Getting drunk on the end product.

Just a quick thought for you. Take a small amount (maybe a liter, maybe two liters) of plain apple juice, no sugar added, and add some bread yeast. When you see activity in the juice, refrigerate it. It makes a pleasant, low alcohol beverage. Apple juice is supposed to be the only juice that is pleasant to drink while actively fermenting.

Apples also have their own wild yeast, so in the fall smash up some local apples and toss them in with your juice and make a wild yeast cider. If bread yeast is all you can get, go for it. Sweden has some homebrewing clubs, perhaps look into those for a group buy or a slug of yeast from someone near you.
https://www.weyermann.de/en-us/swedish-homebrew-competition-2022-3/
Hi I live in Gotland which is a tourist island in Sweden and there aren't really any homebrewing groups here to my knowledge

Yes, as noted above, Saccharomyces cerevisiae (commonly found bread yeast which can also be used for home brew) is generally documented to be able to live with alcohol up to 14% in the temperature range of 20-30C.

If you are using active dry yeast, having a magnetic stir plate can be an advantage because you need to make a starter first. (During the manufacturing process, a dusty layer of dead yeast surrounds each cell and unless this layer is first dissolved in liquid, the yeast, if not prepared, is weak and ineffective if pitched directly into your wort. ) Instant yeast will get you around that problem, but use 25% less of it than the active dry type.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/supermarket-juice-wine-how-to-guide-and-recipes.49462/
all about supermarket juice wines follow anyone of the recipes they usually turn out great

somethings in general though: apple juice will make applewine like edworts mix apple with white grape for more of a wine and less of a cider.
black tea tannins help a lot
fermaid is essential also imo
pectolase and bentonite make beautiful clear wines,

i dont think the glycerine is really needed

my favorites are red grape / blue berry
concord and black currant ( back sweetened black currant juice is tart to begin with.)
and cherry concord also good

thats really a great thread so many recipes all from supermarket ingredients,

Just another thought I had on Apple Juice. Where I am in Canada, we have 2 options for unsweetened pastuerized apple juice; from concentrate, and not. The 'not from concentrate' version says on the label that sugar is 30g/250ml and the concentrate is 26g/250ml. But I have found that with using the former, I still need to add sugar to get my OG to 1.06. So far I have been using the 'not from concentrate' version which also contains about 50% more Vit C than the other.

I use SAF-05 Ale yeast, ferment under pressure at 13 PSI, and initiate a +3 conductive cold crash, followed by -3C convective storage, at 1.02 to stop the ferment and avoid the need to back sweeten. After I had been decanting direct from the fermenter, the last batch partially froze in the fermenter while under pressure when the ambient convective went to -10C. I then bottled the remainder in Grolsch bottles stored at 3C. After about a week the content of the Grolsch bottles is lightly carbonated. I plan to monitor every other day to make sure they do not over carbonate, and also to curate the possible ongoing ferment by adjusting the storage temperature.

Back