Questions about a home bar speaker system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtbritt

Reaction score
I have a home bar (see photos here if you're interested), and I'm in the process of installing an integrated digital jukebox system. I'm at the point of installing the speakers into the ceiling, but I'm having trouble deciding where to put the them. I know this doesn't sound appropriate for a home brew/home bar forum, but it'll be relevant once you see the options, I promise. My two options are:

1. Install the speakers into the ceiling directly over the bar. This would please the audiophile, as it would balance out the sound throughout the room.

2. Install the speakers into the ceiling, centered over the patron area of the bar (IE, ignoring the bar and the bartender area, put them along the center line of the space for the bar goers and dart throwers). This would lend the music more of a background aspect, allowing people sitting at the bar to have conversations without having to talk over the music. It also would (hopefully) make it easier for the bartender (me) to hear people across the bar, as their speech would take audible precedence over the speakers further away.

So which do I honor more...musical purity? Or bar conversation...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Do both. One set on Channel A and one on Channel B if you have that capability. Most home receivers can. I have two sets connected to my old Kenwood. A set in the garage/brewery/gameroom and a set outside at the pool.

The receiver does in fact have A/B output, but I'm saving B for the outdoor speakers. Otherwise that solution would be a winner...

when pytting speakers directly over a bar or table, you would be surprised how much "slap and echo" they can create. it can get very annoying.

i'd put em in the "further away place" you mentioned.
if you ever want to blast your head off, add a second set of horn loaded cabinets on the B channels.

Music should be in the background, put it over the people and not the bar.

The receiver does in fact have A/B output, but I'm saving B for the outdoor speakers. Otherwise that solution would be a winner...

Why not get a cheapo dedicated receiver for the outdoor speakers?

I'd say it's up to you.

Do you want to use the bar as a place to listen to music, or do you want to "add" music, just to have a nicer ambience while enjoying the beer, and the company?

Thanks everyone, I installed the speakers centered over the patron area. Once I get the receiver working right I'll let everyone know if I get the desired results.

Thanks for all the input!

Do you want sound quality or just sound? I’ve never had any luck with those in ceiling speakers. I’ve tried just about three different brands. There may be some good ones out there but they are very high dollar. The cheaper ones are fine if you want low level background music. If you have to turn them up they are horrible! And you will have to turn them up. The last straw for me was a Superbowl party; I had to turn them up because we had so many people over. Well, let me tell you, I could barely understand the commentary. I ripped them out the next week and will never use them again. I spent some money and put in a good quality surround sound speakers. There are tons of good speakers out there that will not break the bank. You can also aim these speakers out into the center of the room. So, the bar will get less sound and the bar tender even less. Once, you place ceiling speakers you’re stuck with them unless you want to patch the hole and move them.

Now when the neighbors get one too many homebrews and what to dance I can turn it up. Without the Rice Crispy Elves dancing in my ears!!

If you cared much about sound quality, ceiling speakers wouldn't be on the menu. I'd say that I understand why you went that way though and it won't matter much where they are installed.

If you cared much about sound quality, ceiling speakers wouldn't be on the menu. I'd say that I understand why you went that way though and it won't matter much where they are installed.

+1 Once you mount the speakers in the ceiling things like stereo imaging, soundstage and accurate reproduction go out the window.

Eh, if it was me I'd rather have them be discrete and hidden. I've never tried ceiling speakers but I can't imagine wanting to sit at a bar with the music blaring. I know I always leave those type of places before even ordering...

Ajwillys, I know exactly what you are talking about. I always hated leaving a bar with a sore throat from having to yell over the music. If it was me spending the money, I'd want to have the option to turn it up if need be. I can't tell you the number of times, I've had friends over tipping brew and some two stepping started. If you’re going to spend the money might as well have the ability the speakers cost the same.

I would personally go with option 2, I hate sitting at a bar and having to yell and the bartender or the person next to me. Either way, good luck!

Eh, if it was me I'd rather have them be discrete and hidden. I've never tried ceiling speakers but I can't imagine wanting to sit at a bar with the music blaring. I know I always leave those type of places before even ordering...

Discreet and hidden is good, but I personally like the option to crank the music if need be. Just about every (fun) party we've held at our bar ended with a jimi/led zeppelin/etc jam session where the music gets turned up until the speakers distort.

Edit: Do you have a sub? You need that for the funky bass lines! Mine sits right under the bar nearest the wall.

Not to be a contrarian, but I used to have Bose in-ceiling speakers for my left, right, and surround channels, and with a decent receiver and a subwoofer I had zero complaints about sound quality or loudness. It was more than loud enough to run people out of a large livingroom, and crystal clear--and the drivers inside those 8" enclosures were only 2.5".

I love the look of in-ceiling speakers, and if you don't feed them frequencies they can't handle, they'll love you right back.

I'd still recommend a good rectangular center channel speaker, and a decently-sized and powered corner-loaded subwoofer for proper imaging.

Back