Question regarding the 1 2 3 method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitescout

Reaction score
I understand this theory, and it is pretty easy to do other than the waiting, and drinking, or sampling the beer before the full three weeks in bottles. I understand that you want to wait the three weeks if you naturally carb the beer in the keg. My question is, if you force carb in the keg, are you allowing extra time in the secondary, or are you waiting extra time in the keg??????? Thanks, Jeff

My ales age in the keg. Takes up less space and frees up the equipment for the next batch.

Hmmm.... never heard of it discribed as a "method". Does not appear to me as something that would need to be followed as the nubers are off a bit from what I have seen. Not that it takes 1 week in Primary, but when it's done it's done... could be 1 week.... coudl be 2 days.... Seondary depends on how clear and stable you want it to be. With fruit ales you could wait considerably more.... I waited 5 weeks in my last one. Certainly does not take a whole 3 weeks for carbonation... might in some cases I suppose, but depends:)

whitescout said:
My question is, if you force carb in the keg, are you allowing extra time in the secondary, or are you waiting extra time in the keg?
If you force carb, you do not have to wait the 3 weeks because you are skipping the time it takes to naturally carbonate. If you go by the carbonation chart, you'll only need a week or so at a certain temp. Then there's the shake method. With this, you can be ready in just a few hours but it’s not very accurate.

Good luck,
Wild

It doesn't take 3 weeks to naturally carbonate. It only takes a few days, depending on temperature, and how short the secondary was. But the beer does get better as it ages, so 3 weeks is a reasonable wait for flavors to develope/smooth. I'd bet hardly anybody doesn't sample one sooner, about 1 week for me. I usualy run out at about the 4 week mark. Guess I ought to brew sooner...

While it can take 3 days to carbonate (if yeast levels are sufficient) it takes much longer for that active yeast to settle out. I also find that there is still some priming sugar sweetness left after 1 week, but none at 14 days or more. Though I tend to "sample" after 7 days. :)

If you've left a highly flocculant yeast in the secondary for 3 weeks or more, you will likely find that it can take up to 2 weeks to fully carbonate.

Back