Question regarding hops vines required height

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PtotheL

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a wooden arch in my backyard unto which I might want to grow hops on.

It's your typical 7 to 8 feet high, by about 3-4 feet wide wooden arch that you sometime see in parks.

Kind of like this one.

I plan on using two of the same variety of hops, one per side of the arch.

From what I read so far, the vine will grow but the hops will only appear at around 10 feet or so.

Therefore, will I do this for nothing and harvest next to no hops or should I still expect a usable amount of hops to be grown on this limited height arch ?

I picked Ten Pounds of hops growing on a fence last fall.

The height is for better commercial production. Also, if you are in a humid climate, taller is nice because you can strip the lower leaves to try to help reduce powdery mildew.

I've had hops destroy cheap lattice used for an arbor. Architectural lattice is much stronger. BUT removing the old vines (they die back each year) from lattice is a pain, your example would be easier to clean in the winter, but a few strings might help it climb.

One more thing, if you intend to pass through this arbor, hop vines are really grabby and a bit abrasive so leave plenty of room between the posts.

3-4 feet isn't enough separation for hop varieties. What you will end up with is a huge pile of mixed hops on top of the arch. I would stick to one kind of hop.

3-4 feet isn't enough separation for hop varieties. What you will end up with is a huge pile of mixed hops on top of the arch. I would stick to one kind of hop.

Sorry about the confusion, that's what I meant to do... I plan on using the same hop variety on both side, but to limit it to one vine on each side.

One more thing, if you intend to pass through this arbor, hop vines are really grabby and a bit abrasive so leave plenty of room between the posts.

First, thanks a lot for your input.

I do go through this arbor from time to time...

What do you mean by leaving plenty of room between the posts ? I cannot modify the arch itself...

Mine really looks like this picture in the link I posted, so you think that the hops could "clog" the arch unless I prune the side-vines that will grow inward the arch ?

The sidearms for hop plant can be 6" to 3 feet. The ones on the inside will make it difficult to walk through the arbor. Hop side arms will attempt to grow upward and grab anything & everything in the process, including other side arms.

Yup, the arms grab strings, lattice, and other arms - including yours!

They're easy to trim, and some training can help them stay on the outside. They grow so fast, you may have to train them daily for a while (poke them to the outside or wrap them around what you want them to grow on). It's no big deal, and you and your plants will become friends.

I didn't know if you had the arch or not so yeah, you're stuck with your post spacing.

That arch will work fine. I would put a rhizome at each outside corner - 4 total. 2-3 bines from each rhizome - 8-12 total. Most of the cones are produced near the top of the bines - which will grow over the top of the arch - but that should work fine. I know two different growers who have hops growing on chain link fences - always more hops than you can harvest.

You'll be fine. The hops may top-out and then start to grow laterally and if no room for that, then fill and possibley hang down. You'll still get a good yield.
I work on the hop farms during harvest(not enough workers) and the polls are 18ft high and most bines don't go more than 3ft laterally from the top.
My $.02, the higher the better but go with whatcha got. The hops will grow my friend, they will grow!

Back