Question on the quality of stainless steel pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stigs007

Reaction score
I was just at Wal-Mart, and saw a 16QT stainless steal pot for about $12 dollars, obviously this seems cheap and it's very light, so it must not be very thick, not sure if you can have just a stainless steel coating. They also had ones that were $50 and much heavier. Will the quality effect things? Would I be ok going with the cheaper one? Wish I could link them, but I can't seem to find the cheaper one on their website.

Check what type of SS it is. If it is listed as 18/0 which the Chinese use very often, it has no nickel content and will rust. 18/10 should be ok.

The pot wouldn't be a stainless steel coating. For a kettle that small the thickness doesn't matter as much. Thickness helps durability but also eliminates sidewall and bottom flexing as kettles start getting into the 15gal, 20gal and up range.

I'd bet good money that the stainless steel grade is not listed for a $12 pot. More than likely it's a 18/0 (or 400 series) stainless steel. It doesn't have nickel so it may be more likely to rust in a few little spots but it won't rust like a piece of iron. For $12 you won't be getting a 304 stainless (18/8). Go back to the store and grab a magnet. If it sticks easily to the kettle it's a 400 series.

For the record 18/10 is 316 stainless and you also won't find a kettle made from that.

Likely, the thin pot is just that, a thin inexpensive stainless steel pot. For twelve bucks it will likely serve you well IMHO. The $50 pot at Walmart I believe is much heavier and has a clad bottom, or a layer of aluminum sandwiched in the bottom. This type of pot is much more expensive and is intended for cooking and even heat distribution. Not really needed for brewing.

I appreciate everyone's info. I'm very new to brewing, and gotta keep my expenses in check to some degree, which is what intrigued me about the pot for $12. I mean if it can server my purposes for a year or two, it might be worth it, then again if I can find something to last me long term it might be a better investment. Let me ask this, would I be better off going with the cheap SS, or an aluminum pot?

Let me ask this, would I be better off going with the cheap SS, or an aluminum pot?

Advantages and disadvantages w/ each!

There is no clear cut answer here, both work well!

A larger pot would be better, but you can only boil so much on a stove top. You can boil in two smaller pot as well!

I believe walmart has aluminum Imusa 8 gal. pots for like $30 bucks as well.

Or look for an inexpensive turkey fryer, even a used one on the cheap can be cleaned out and used for brewing...cheers!

Try craigslist if you are on a budget!

One thing I'm a little confused on still, what grade of SS should I be looking for? I take it 18/8 is better than 18/10?

One thing I'm a little confused on still, what grade of SS should I be looking for? I take it 18/8 is better than 18/10?

I would not be concerned at all with the grade of stainless if buying an inexpensive SS pot. IME even a very inexpensive SS pot is certainly decent enough stainless for your purposes.

As Spike said above, you can check w/ a magnet...but for an inexpensive value priced pot...RDWHAHB it will work fine IMHO.

Back