Question on recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrcrowley269

Reaction score
Am doing a Delirium recipe. It is a pretty big brew. The recipe says to secondary after 7 days. That seems a little soon as there is still plenty of activity, bubbling less than 15 seconds. I am using a fermenting bucket, 1st time with a bucket, my old kit had 2 5 gallon carboys and my brews have been blowing off. 7 days with that much activity seems a little early, I figured at least 2 weeks. Then 3-4 in secondary to clarify.

Take a gravity reading. That will tell you. You also don't necessarily have to transfer.

I think you are on the right track. Any transfer should be based on your individual fermentation not an arbitrary timeline.

I know this has been rehashed a zillion times but this whole primary/secondary thing drives me crazy. I would just leave it alone until it's done then package as usual. Your beer will clarify regardless of what vessel it is in. It's not like yeasts look down, see a yeast cake and decide not to flocculate....

Thanks guys...I figured it was early. My only concern is, I have always used glass to ferment in and have read plastic as a secondary can be bad because plastic leeches O2. I did not know if this was the reason for the quick move.

Back