Question on old bacteria

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterlab

Reaction score
I have a question for the more experienced sour brewers. I did'nt realize it but one of the packs of Pedio i bought from my LHBS is dated 15Jun2009. I know YIKES I did'nt notice it till a few months after i got it. It has always been refrigerated , my question is should i make a starter and see how it reacts before I pitch into the lambic 3 months from now? Or should I just buy another pack. This is'nt a pressing matter just out of curiosity.

Dan

Considering the time frame of lambics and all the work that goes into getting the right complexity, I think you should definitely purchase a new vial, and probably also make a starter from it.

Bacteria can be stable for a long time when kept cool, longer if frozen. It is likely there are some cells still alive in there, but why bother when you can get some fresh cells?

Well I opened it up and put into a starter anyways as seeing what will happen. I did notice for a odor when I opened it , it smelled a lot of vinegar and cheesy kinda smell. I do have a cold right now to so my nose is all plugged up. I plan to get a new pack of the Pedio this week thou.

Back