Question on my mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonniecl

Reaction score
I made some mead about a month ago and just racked it for the first time is it ok to add some grape juice now to it to sweeten it up?

You can add grape juice, but it'll just re-start the fermentation.

If you want to backsweeten, let it clear for a good while, then stabilize... THEN add your juice.
Or make a nice dry mead and sweeten in the glass! Nothing wrong with mixing mead with juice in the glass!

BigKahuna said:
You can add grape juice, but it'll just re-start the fermentation.

If you want to backsweeten, let it clear for a good while, then stabilize... THEN add your juice.
Or make a nice dry mead and sweeten in the glass! Nothing wrong with mixing mead with juice in the glass!

If he puts the mead in the fridge after adding the new flavor that should stop a second fremantion

If he puts the mead in the fridge after adding the new flavor that should stop a second fremantion

YES, That can work. But most of us like to put our mead away in the cellar for months and years. I would hate to limit myself to an entire batch of mead that had to be kept under refrigeration indefinitely for fear of bottle bombs.

BigKahuna said:
YES, That can work. But most of us like to put our mead away in the cellar for months and years. I would hate to limit myself to an entire batch of mead that had to be kept under refrigeration indefinitely for fear of bottle bombs.

Good point !!

Back