Question on Extract and DME brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schia

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just got back from the brew shop with a Coopers wheat beer extract and 2 packets of DME and I cant wait to get started... the water is boiling as I'm typing this now.

As I was rushing back I forgot to ask the shopkeeper if i needed to add 1KG of dextrose to this brew. From what I've read enough and my shallow understanding, the answer is no but i need expert opinion to avoid a bad batch.

Thanks in advance folks.

Adding dextrose will raise the OG, and give you a higher ABV in the end product. It will also dry out the end product a bit.

If it is part of the recipe, then it is part of the recipe! You never NEED to add it. It is just more fermentable sugar.

P.S. Dextrose in homebrewing

I think your shop keeper substituted the dextrose with DME for a better end result. Check how much sugar by weight the Coopers (1kg) said to add vs. how much DME you bought.

I think if you add both you with have a higher gravity than anticipated and not ballaced with the appopriate IBU's.

Back